The PSP really did look ahead of its time at release. It was so sleek. I thought the UMDs added to that effect too (even if they’re not as practical as cards for a portable device).
I never had one at the time, the games didn’t appeal to me as much as GBA/DS games did. I got one a few years ago and I still think they look sleek and modern. The fact they’re easy to put custom firmware on is just the icing on the cake .
People who back on Kickstarter need to understand what they’re getting themselves into. I don’t think most do. It isn’t a pre-order, you don’t have typical Consumer rights. You’re effectively investing in a Business venture (albeit a specific one-off venture), with all the associated risks involved with that. Delays and potentially even losing out on all of your investment. If you’re not happy with those risks, then don’t pledge.
Of course in this case (and many other Kickstarters), the lack of updates doesn’t help.
Living in the UK in the 80s and 90s, and having a Master System, this doesn’t surprise me. What does surprise me is that number for the NES. I’m surprised it sold that much, and even more surprising it outsold the SNES. Really? I find that really hard to believe. I didn’t know anyone with an NES back then, and I hardly ever saw it in shops. Yet the SNES was everywhere, as was the Mega Drive.
Home & Away and Neighbours were cancelled years ago. But no worries fellow fans! We have the captivating drama of random retro handheld no.7 can/can’t/can handle the screens of a handheld released 22 years ago!
I’m surprised it’s still possible to manufacture and duplicate cassette tapes. I know CDs are still a thing, and vinyl has made a come back, but I thought tape manufacture was gone. I’m glad it hasn’t. I wonder if it’s still possible to manufacture floppy disks?
This is my favourite aspect of this site - real journalism! Excellent work. So good in fact, I’m sure numerous YouTubers will be piggy-backing off the back of your work for year to come.
Given this has only just now been cracked, why have we been able to use things like FreeMcBoot (via the MagicGate memory card slot) and other programs I won’t pretend to understand, to play games off a hard drive and things like that? I’m just curious how all that was still possible despite this security chip not being fully understood or cracked.
@Sketcz don’t forget trophies/achievements. I remember reading a comment somewhere from a fluid stain who basically said there’s no point in games without trophies or achievements. Like three decades of games prior to them invading the gaming space was just pointless. I bet that person also thinks any game less than 60 hours isn’t worth it.
I remember getting a Super Famicom Baseball game back in the 90s as we’d just got a converter to play import games on our PAL SNES. I thought I’d be able to figure it all out, how wrong I was!! 🤣🤣
Is it more likely to be Zool for the C64, or did it release on the C64 back in the day?
Personally I’ve always thought Zool was a bit pants. Nothing particularly bad about it, but it just got lost in the deluge of platformers from around that time, and there are so many better ones.
EDIT: actually on second look the screenshot looks much more N64 than C64.
I have their C64 Maxi and Spectrum, and even without the original branding on those they still feel incredibly authentic. So it wasn’t something I was fussed about with the A1200, but if it can now have the original branding then all the better.
I just hope all the rubbish I’ve seen lately from the new Commodore company doesn’t somehow infiltrate into Retro Games Ltd because of this! 🤣
@Ruka I can tell it’s a decent upscaler. Certainly better than all the generic HDMI converters you can buy, and even the RAD2X cables which I tried on a couple of consoles before selling them.
I was just expecting so much more, given its price tag and all the glowing reviews it received. I’m left disappointed with it. It doesn’t help I normally use a CRT for my retro gaming. I was hoping the 5X would mean I could get rid of the CRT, but it doesn’t come anywhere near the quality of it. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, but for the price I don’t think they were.
I’m guessing this makes the 5X redundant? I never liked it, and feel shafted after getting it off the back of all the glowing YouTube and specialist internet site reviews (most of whom never paid for it themselves I imagine). Seems I’ve missed my chance to sell it to recoup some of that money. Oh well 🤣🤣🤣
I’ll keep my eye out. Would be nice if they included the full trilogy, but I won’t hold my breath. Also, if this is Clear River Games, then that means there will be a physical, right?
I’m really confused by all this Commodore stuff. Thankfully, I have the C64 Maxi and can play pretty much any C64 game, so I’m happy. I’m also looking forward to the A1200 from the same company that brought us the C64 Maxi. This other company can carry on with their random shenanigans in the background.
I have the v3 N64 Everdrive (the one even before the X7) and I’m sure I can play 64DD games on it. Although if memory serves, I think the rom files have to be patched first. So is that the difference here, this can play un-patched ‘clean’ 64DD ROMs?
I’m not sure what else differs with the v3 and the X7 and this one, but mine is still going strong and works a treat so I wouldn’t be upgrading for this. Although it does demonstrate how good the build quality is. I’m sure I’ve had it at least 10 years.
@DeadPreservation of course I’d try to make as much money as possible from them. Still doesn’t change the fact I don’t understand why people get excited over a different sticker on the back of a cartridge. But would it stop me from profiting from their ridiculousness? Absolutely not! And I’d still comment about it on a news site such as this. But thanks for checking in with me about it, I appreciate you wading through the horse *****.
Is there anything visually different about these cartridges, compared with other iterations? How would you know they’re different, other than someone saying they are?
EDIT: I don’t know if the article has changed or I just missed it first time round (probably the latter), but I now see the sticker on the back of the cartridge for these contains text in multiple languages, rather than only English. And some code is different. So that’s it? Why do people get excited over this?
I still dip into Demons’ Souls and Dark Souls from time to time. And I still don’t get anywhere with them. I really want to. I love the lore and atmosphere and look of the world, and the interconnecting areas and passages that I hear about would really appeal to me. I just can’t figure out how to defeat many of the enemies. How are you supposed to figure it out? I don’t have much time to game these days, so I can’t spend ages playing through trial and error. Are there any clues in the game at all, or do I need to resort to a guide?
I just don’t really buy digital games. So I doubt I’ll ever get a PS6. That said, I still don’t have a PS5 as there just isn’t anything that appeals to me on the platform. Contrast that with the PS4, where there was plenty (and all physical too). The only game I’m looking forward to on PS5 is the new one by Fumito Ueda, so I’ll have to see what happens there.
If Nintendo go full digital, that would be a much bigger issue for me. I love Nintendo games and consoles, but would I buy all their latest games if they were digital only? Probably, but I’d buy a lot less than I do now that’s for sure.
On the plus side, this all could mean I work through my retro backlog more, which I would certainly enjoy.
I was wondering, would the likes of LRG and their ilk still be able to print physical games for the PS5 after January 2028, or will that option also be gone as there literally wouldn’t be any factories left to print the discs?
@Damo thanks. If I just knew which screen it is in yours, then I could sort out the rest. There are so many different ones available it’s hard to know which is which.
@Damo do you have a link to that screen you have and the fitting service please? I’ve tried the link to the Lab 15 site, but I can’t see anything obviously screen related. I’m guessing this only replaces the screen and nothing else?
I’ve modded some GBs, GBCs and GBA. However, as I’m not skilled, I’ve had to use the ‘drop-in’ varieties, with mixed results. I like the idea of these as they retain the original shells and buttons - every after market shell and buttons I’ve tried have been terrible.
The GBC drop in screens are the best by far. They seem to be the closest to the original screen in terms of colours and how they look, just with a backlight.
The GBA drop in screen I’ve tried is not great. The colours are way off compared to an AGS-101 screen, and an original screen as far as I can tell. The colours are much too saturated and just different. I’ve ended up buying another AGS-101 instead!
The GB one I’m in the middle on. For the one I did, you replace the screen but also the board that has the button contacts, volume control, contrast control and speaker on. So even though I’m using an original shell and buttons, it still feels a bit different. Also, while it offers various colour modes, none of them look like an original screen but with a backlight like the one you’re showing in the article, which is disappointing as your one does look good.
Strangely, for the original GB I’ve found using a ‘light boy’ with LED bulbs to be my go to way of playing it. The LED bulbs needed a bit of soldering, but they’re super bright (they’re the COB variety) and the magnifier makes the screen bigger. It’s the ultimate nostalgic way of playing the GB, warts and all. I love it!
My first memory of Lylat Wars was having the big box with the rumble pak in our house but not being able to play it. My parents had purchased it for Xmas for us. My brother and I kept asking to look at it. Through the process of iteration, we went from looking at the box, to opening it to look at the cart and rumble pak, to reading the manual (to prepare for Xmas day, naturally), to ‘testing’ it worked. All prior to Xmas day. My Dad was fully behind this process, my Mum, not so much 🤣
I’ve only just got into Retro Gamer recently, after buying issue 284 in the airport for our holiday in April. I’ve actively avoided it as I really didn’t want to go down the rabbit hole, but alas the rabbit hole has finally caught up with me! I’ve since ordered some back issues that are still available in print form on the website, and duly got myself a subscription.
One of the great things about the subscription is that you get unlimited access to issues digitally via the Pocket Mags app, including back issues. So I’ve been reading lots of old issues which has been great. Looking at the app now, I see it only goes back to issue 168, so unfortunately nowhere near far back enough to be able to read this issue as I’d be very interested to do so.
I’ve bought the odd new games for SNES and N64 - Retro-Bit’s Jaleco’s brawlers pack and PIKO’s 40 Winks. Everything felt cheap, from the carts themselves to the boxes and manuals, and the games themselves didn’t even run great either (40 Winks had bad audio levels). I sold them and decided I’d never again get these new releases, they’re just not worth it.
(I tell a slight lie. I did recently buy the new DOOM release for SNES from LRG. While this suffers from the issues mentioned above, although not as bad, I loved SNES DOOM back in the day and just had to have this new expanded release.)
I need to get one of these. I only bought the standard Everdrive GBA last year (after upgrading from the old X5 model which used an over-sized cart), but these additions are really worthwhile in my opinion.
I think I’ll get a Commodore phone. I’m happy to pay $500 for the nostalgia of using a Commodore phone again. I loved using my Commodore phone in the 80s and early 90s. Me and my mates had great times calling each other on our Commodore phones, as well as all the great games we played on our Commodore phones.
I’ve managed to watch Rubber Keyed Wonder via Amazon Prime (I really enjoyed it), but I’ve not been able to find anywhere I can watch Bedroom to Billions (and the PlayStation follow-up). I hope this becomes widely available on streaming platforms somewhere at some point. If not, I guess I won’t be watching this one either!
Depending on the game, I’d prefer this type of translation to nothing at all, if it’s a game I really want to play but can’t due to the language. As long as it’s transparent and clear then what’s the problem? If the translations really are that bad, then the ‘market’ will decide and not play them.
I’m confused as to why Commodore would release a phone, any phone, even a retro one. What does it have to do with Commodore? When I think of Commodore, I think C64 and Amiga, the 80s and 90s. What does early 2000s have to do with Commodore? Finally, the marketing photos are way off. Their models should be over-weight, greying and balding men in their 40s and 50s, because that’s their target audience surely?
I recently bought their ‘The Spectrum’ and C64 (full sized) consoles and I’m really impressed with them. They look and feel really authentic with their working keyboards and original sizes. I’ve also been able to play any game I’ve tried via USB.
While I don’t really have any Nostalgia for the Amiga, other than a friend of mine having one growing up and me being fascinated by it, I think I’ll have to get this if it’s up to the same standard as their other consoles. It’s nice trying games I’ve never played before for a change, rather than the same old Nintendo and Sega games.
Glad they chose the Master System rather than the NES for a change. Most MS games look so much better, so this should look much better and colourful as a result.
I agree with him. I’m one of these older gamers, and the Evercade devices and games really do appeal to me. However, I just have so much other retro gaming hardware and games that I don’t want/need another device and set of games. If I was just coming into the scene, I’d probably go for Evercade, but I went down the rabbit hole long ago with original hardware and CRTs so I’m a lost cause now!
@Damo no worries. I highly recommend it. I put off buying it for quite a while because of how expensive it was, and I was unsure about its format (it’s effectively a set of discussions with various key figures from that period). But I’m glad I bit the bullet and bought it. It was excellent and because it’s two books in a slipcase it took me ages to get through it. Well worth the money. John Blanche isn’t directly interviewed, but he comes up in it numerous times, such as him interviewing Mike McVey when Mike first started working at GW.
His art was such a big factor of my childhood. The 2nd edition 40k’s box art, many of his illustrations in White Dwarf, Warhammer Armies and Codex books, and also the Fighting Fantasy Sorcery Series of books, where he did both the cover art and internal illustrations. There are also lots of good anecdotes about his time at Games Workshop in the 80s in the ‘Talking Miniatures’ book, which I highly recommend to anyone who was into GW during the 80s and 90s, even if not into it now.
I mean, he directed Klonoa Door to Phantomile, one of the best games ever made, so it’s not too surprising he could come up with the Game Boy design two years before the Game Boy design was known.
I’m only just now getting into ZX Spectrum games. I grew up with the C64 and Master System, I don’t recall ever knowing anyone with, or playing on, a Spectrum. I bought ‘The Spectrum’ mini console from Retro Games Ltd and I think it’s great. I love how it looks and feels like the real deal, right down to the working rubber/silicone keyboard.
Head over Heels is on there too so I’ll definitely be playing it.
I’ll have to give this a go. I’ve been underwhelmed by the 5X to be honest. I’m not doubting it’s a great upscaler compared to most other ones, it’s just I was expecting it to be much better than it is after all the glowing reviews from YouTubers. I was hoping I’d be happy enough with it to replace my CRT, but that isn’t the case.
I played my GameCube the other week on it using RGB 480i, to an HD 1080p TV, and I thought it looked pretty awful to be honest. Maybe I need to mess around with the settings, but I really can’t be bothered. I bought it because of its touted ‘plug and play’ ability. Maybe this firmware update will make me like it more.
I’m really only interested in transferring and backing up save data from the cartridges. Is there a cheaper alternative for doing that? I have the Joey Jr for the Game Boy, and that does loads for a cheap price. You can transfer the save data AND rom files to your PC from the carts for three systems, and it can also be used like a pen drive with your phone to view and save photos from the GB Camera. And it’s much cheaper than this. I basically want a Joey Jr equivalent for the SNES.
Comments 497
Re: Review: Evercade Nexus - a Commendable Upgrade, but Bundling Banjo-Kazooie Is the True Masterstroke
“spins 270 degrees instead of 90”. Isn’t that just 90 degrees in the other direction? 🤔
Re: Feature: "It's Insulting & Hurtful" - Beetle Adventure Racing Decomp Dev Kicks Back Against The Rise Of AI Recomps
Well I couldn’t finish reading the article thanks to all the ads constantly crashing the page and me having to reload it (only for it to crash again).
Re: "You Bastards" - Ex-PlayStation Exec Shawn Layden Reveals What A Nintendo Counterpart Thought About PSP
The PSP really did look ahead of its time at release. It was so sleek. I thought the UMDs added to that effect too (even if they’re not as practical as cards for a portable device).
I never had one at the time, the games didn’t appeal to me as much as GBA/DS games did. I got one a few years ago and I still think they look sleek and modern. The fact they’re easy to put custom firmware on is just the icing on the cake .
Re: "We Bear Full Responsibility For Where We're At" - After $1.8 Million Raised & Months Of Silence, EGM Updates Backers On Book Delays
People who back on Kickstarter need to understand what they’re getting themselves into. I don’t think most do. It isn’t a pre-order, you don’t have typical Consumer rights. You’re effectively investing in a Business venture (albeit a specific one-off venture), with all the associated risks involved with that. Delays and potentially even losing out on all of your investment. If you’re not happy with those risks, then don’t pledge.
Of course in this case (and many other Kickstarters), the lack of updates doesn’t help.
Re: The Master System's Popularity In The UK Is Still Surprising Some People
Living in the UK in the 80s and 90s, and having a Master System, this doesn’t surprise me. What does surprise me is that number for the NES. I’m surprised it sold that much, and even more surprising it outsold the SNES. Really? I find that really hard to believe. I didn’t know anyone with an NES back then, and I hardly ever saw it in shops. Yet the SNES was everywhere, as was the Mega Drive.
Re: Turns Out The Chipset Inside The Retroid Duo Can Handle Two Screens Natively
Home & Away and Neighbours were cancelled years ago. But no worries fellow fans! We have the captivating drama of random retro handheld no.7 can/can’t/can handle the screens of a handheld released 22 years ago!
Re: Bitmap Books Reprinting Some Excellent Tomes In October, Including Go Straight & Artcade
@Martin_H I can highly recommend it, you won’t be disappointed.
Re: New Compilation Celebrates Matthew 'Jet Set Willy' Smith's Indelible ZX Spectrum Legacy
I’m surprised it’s still possible to manufacture and duplicate cassette tapes. I know CDs are still a thing, and vinyl has made a come back, but I thought tape manufacture was gone. I’m glad it hasn’t. I wonder if it’s still possible to manufacture floppy disks?
Re: Random: The Curious Case Of Pixar Vs. Nintendo, And The Quest For Answers
This is my favourite aspect of this site - real journalism! Excellent work. So good in fact, I’m sure numerous YouTubers will be piggy-backing off the back of your work for year to come.
Re: The PS2 Tough Nut Security Chip 'MechaCon' Has Finally Been Cracked Open
Given this has only just now been cracked, why have we been able to use things like FreeMcBoot (via the MagicGate memory card slot) and other programs I won’t pretend to understand, to play games off a hard drive and things like that? I’m just curious how all that was still possible despite this security chip not being fully understood or cracked.
Re: Check Out This Impressive Footage Of Sega's Virtua Racing Running On Playdate
The crank should be used to jack the car up in the pits before they can change the tyres, and jack it back down again before you can go. Or not.
Re: Scientific Research Concludes Playing Super Mario 64 Literally Expands Your Brain
I best get my daughters to stop playing Animal Crossing and start playing Mario 64
Re: The Making Of: Strider II - One Of The Worst Sequels In Video Game History, And I Should Know - I Had To Test It
@Sketcz don’t forget trophies/achievements. I remember reading a comment somewhere from a fluid stain who basically said there’s no point in games without trophies or achievements. Like three decades of games prior to them invading the gaming space was just pointless. I bet that person also thinks any game less than 60 hours isn’t worth it.
Re: Want To Learn Japanese? Retro Games Are Your Friend
I remember getting a Super Famicom Baseball game back in the 90s as we’d just got a converter to play import games on our PAL SNES. I thought I’d be able to figure it all out, how wrong I was!! 🤣🤣
Re: The Pixel Arcadia Showcase Featured A Secret Game Announcement That Everybody Missed
Is it more likely to be Zool for the C64, or did it release on the C64 back in the day?
Personally I’ve always thought Zool was a bit pants. Nothing particularly bad about it, but it just got lost in the deluge of platformers from around that time, and there are so many better ones.
EDIT: actually on second look the screenshot looks much more N64 than C64.
Re: "The A1200 Is Officially An Amiga Product"
I have their C64 Maxi and Spectrum, and even without the original branding on those they still feel incredibly authentic. So it wasn’t something I was fussed about with the A1200, but if it can now have the original branding then all the better.
I just hope all the rubbish I’ve seen lately from the new Commodore company doesn’t somehow infiltrate into Retro Games Ltd because of this! 🤣
Re: The RetroTINK-6X CE Is A Powerful 1440p Scaler That Costs Just $230
@Ruka I can tell it’s a decent upscaler. Certainly better than all the generic HDMI converters you can buy, and even the RAD2X cables which I tried on a couple of consoles before selling them.
I was just expecting so much more, given its price tag and all the glowing reviews it received. I’m left disappointed with it. It doesn’t help I normally use a CRT for my retro gaming. I was hoping the 5X would mean I could get rid of the CRT, but it doesn’t come anywhere near the quality of it. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, but for the price I don’t think they were.
Re: The RetroTINK-6X CE Is A Powerful 1440p Scaler That Costs Just $230
I’m guessing this makes the 5X redundant? I never liked it, and feel shafted after getting it off the back of all the glowing YouTube and specialist internet site reviews (most of whom never paid for it themselves I imagine). Seems I’ve missed my chance to sell it to recoup some of that money. Oh well 🤣🤣🤣
Re: Wake Up, It Looks Like Terranigma Might Finally Be Getting A Re-Release
I’ll keep my eye out. Would be nice if they included the full trilogy, but I won’t hold my breath. Also, if this is Clear River Games, then that means there will be a physical, right?
Re: "What A Year It's Been" - Commodore Celebrates Its Birthday With A New Game Initiative For The C64 Ultimate
I’m really confused by all this Commodore stuff. Thankfully, I have the C64 Maxi and can play pretty much any C64 game, so I’m happy. I’m also looking forward to the A1200 from the same company that brought us the C64 Maxi. This other company can carry on with their random shenanigans in the background.
Re: A New N64 EverDrive Flash Cart Has Been Released With A Dedicated 64DD Core
I have the v3 N64 Everdrive (the one even before the X7) and I’m sure I can play 64DD games on it. Although if memory serves, I think the rom files have to be patched first. So is that the difference here, this can play un-patched ‘clean’ 64DD ROMs?
I’m not sure what else differs with the v3 and the X7 and this one, but mine is still going strong and works a treat so I wouldn’t be upgrading for this. Although it does demonstrate how good the build quality is. I’m sure I’ve had it at least 10 years.
Re: "The Blood Drained From My Face" - 97 Copies Of Never-Before-Seen Super Mario Bros. Variant Found In Wisconsin Retro Store
@DeadPreservation of course I’d try to make as much money as possible from them. Still doesn’t change the fact I don’t understand why people get excited over a different sticker on the back of a cartridge. But would it stop me from profiting from their ridiculousness? Absolutely not! And I’d still comment about it on a news site such as this. But thanks for checking in with me about it, I appreciate you wading through the horse *****.
Re: "The Blood Drained From My Face" - 97 Copies Of Never-Before-Seen Super Mario Bros. Variant Found In Wisconsin Retro Store
Is there anything visually different about these cartridges, compared with other iterations? How would you know they’re different, other than someone saying they are?
EDIT: I don’t know if the article has changed or I just missed it first time round (probably the latter), but I now see the sticker on the back of the cartridge for these contains text in multiple languages, rather than only English. And some code is different. So that’s it? Why do people get excited over this?
Re: Shuhei Yoshida Thinks It Was "Actually A Good Thing" Sony Didn't Publish Dark Souls
I still dip into Demons’ Souls and Dark Souls from time to time. And I still don’t get anywhere with them. I really want to. I love the lore and atmosphere and look of the world, and the interconnecting areas and passages that I hear about would really appeal to me. I just can’t figure out how to defeat many of the enemies. How are you supposed to figure it out? I don’t have much time to game these days, so I can’t spend ages playing through trial and error. Are there any clues in the game at all, or do I need to resort to a guide?
Re: I'm Really Not Sure How I Feel About Sony Killing Physical Media
I just don’t really buy digital games. So I doubt I’ll ever get a PS6. That said, I still don’t have a PS5 as there just isn’t anything that appeals to me on the platform. Contrast that with the PS4, where there was plenty (and all physical too). The only game I’m looking forward to on PS5 is the new one by Fumito Ueda, so I’ll have to see what happens there.
If Nintendo go full digital, that would be a much bigger issue for me. I love Nintendo games and consoles, but would I buy all their latest games if they were digital only? Probably, but I’d buy a lot less than I do now that’s for sure.
On the plus side, this all could mean I work through my retro backlog more, which I would certainly enjoy.
Re: Random: Evercade Pokes Fun At Sony Killing Physical Media On PlayStation
I was wondering, would the likes of LRG and their ilk still be able to print physical games for the PS5 after January 2028, or will that option also be gone as there literally wouldn’t be any factories left to print the discs?
Re: Thanks To These Upgrades, My Beloved Game Boy May Have Reached Its Final Form
@Damo thanks. If I just knew which screen it is in yours, then I could sort out the rest. There are so many different ones available it’s hard to know which is which.
Re: Thanks To These Upgrades, My Beloved Game Boy May Have Reached Its Final Form
@Damo do you have a link to that screen you have and the fitting service please? I’ve tried the link to the Lab 15 site, but I can’t see anything obviously screen related. I’m guessing this only replaces the screen and nothing else?
Re: Thanks To These Upgrades, My Beloved Game Boy May Have Reached Its Final Form
I’ve modded some GBs, GBCs and GBA. However, as I’m not skilled, I’ve had to use the ‘drop-in’ varieties, with mixed results. I like the idea of these as they retain the original shells and buttons - every after market shell and buttons I’ve tried have been terrible.
The GBC drop in screens are the best by far. They seem to be the closest to the original screen in terms of colours and how they look, just with a backlight.
The GBA drop in screen I’ve tried is not great. The colours are way off compared to an AGS-101 screen, and an original screen as far as I can tell. The colours are much too saturated and just different. I’ve ended up buying another AGS-101 instead!
The GB one I’m in the middle on. For the one I did, you replace the screen but also the board that has the button contacts, volume control, contrast control and speaker on. So even though I’m using an original shell and buttons, it still feels a bit different. Also, while it offers various colour modes, none of them look like an original screen but with a backlight like the one you’re showing in the article, which is disappointing as your one does look good.
Strangely, for the original GB I’ve found using a ‘light boy’ with LED bulbs to be my go to way of playing it. The LED bulbs needed a bit of soldering, but they’re super bright (they’re the COB variety) and the magnifier makes the screen bigger. It’s the ultimate nostalgic way of playing the GB, warts and all. I love it!
Re: Game Changer: Star Fox 64 / Lylat Wars - The N64 Classic That Cast A Spell Over My Childhood
My first memory of Lylat Wars was having the big box with the rumble pak in our house but not being able to play it. My parents had purchased it for Xmas for us. My brother and I kept asking to look at it. Through the process of iteration, we went from looking at the box, to opening it to look at the cart and rumble pak, to reading the manual (to prepare for Xmas day, naturally), to ‘testing’ it worked. All prior to Xmas day. My Dad was fully behind this process, my Mum, not so much 🤣
Re: Iconic Issues: Retro Gamer #28 (Star Fox) - The Magazine That Changed My Life Forever
I’ve only just got into Retro Gamer recently, after buying issue 284 in the airport for our holiday in April. I’ve actively avoided it as I really didn’t want to go down the rabbit hole, but alas the rabbit hole has finally caught up with me! I’ve since ordered some back issues that are still available in print form on the website, and duly got myself a subscription.
One of the great things about the subscription is that you get unlimited access to issues digitally via the Pocket Mags app, including back issues. So I’ve been reading lots of old issues which has been great. Looking at the app now, I see it only goes back to issue 168, so unfortunately nowhere near far back enough to be able to read this issue as I’d be very interested to do so.
Re: "Embarrassing" - These $100 Sonic Re-Releases Aren't Going Down Well With Fans
I’ve bought the odd new games for SNES and N64 - Retro-Bit’s Jaleco’s brawlers pack and PIKO’s 40 Winks. Everything felt cheap, from the carts themselves to the boxes and manuals, and the games themselves didn’t even run great either (40 Winks had bad audio levels). I sold them and decided I’d never again get these new releases, they’re just not worth it.
(I tell a slight lie. I did recently buy the new DOOM release for SNES from LRG. While this suffers from the issues mentioned above, although not as bad, I loved SNES DOOM back in the day and just had to have this new expanded release.)
Re: Review: EverDrive GBA Pro - Praise The Sun!
I need to get one of these. I only bought the standard Everdrive GBA last year (after upgrading from the old X5 model which used an over-sized cart), but these additions are really worthwhile in my opinion.
Re: "This Isn't Your Granny's Flip Phone" - Commodore Defends Its $500 Dumbphone
I think I’ll get a Commodore phone. I’m happy to pay $500 for the nostalgia of using a Commodore phone again. I loved using my Commodore phone in the 80s and early 90s. Me and my mates had great times calling each other on our Commodore phones, as well as all the great games we played on our Commodore phones.
Re: The 'Bedrooms To Billions' And 'Rubber Keyed Wonder' Team Is Tackling The Commodore 64 Next
I’ve managed to watch Rubber Keyed Wonder via Amazon Prime (I really enjoyed it), but I’ve not been able to find anywhere I can watch Bedroom to Billions (and the PlayStation follow-up). I hope this becomes widely available on streaming platforms somewhere at some point. If not, I guess I won’t be watching this one either!
Re: Romhack.ing Disables AI-Translated Patch Downloads Following Langrisser V Upset
Depending on the game, I’d prefer this type of translation to nothing at all, if it’s a game I really want to play but can’t due to the language. As long as it’s transparent and clear then what’s the problem? If the translations really are that bad, then the ‘market’ will decide and not play them.
Re: Interview: "We Were Doing Nintendo A Favour" - Former Sega Head Of Marketing Al Nilsen on Genesis & The Birth Of 'Sonicmania'
Thank you for clarifying that Al Nilsen was on the right in that photo with Michael Jackson. I wouldn’t have known otherwise. Much appreciated.
Re: Commodore's Next Hardware Release Is Dumb, And Proud Of It
I’m confused as to why Commodore would release a phone, any phone, even a retro one. What does it have to do with Commodore? When I think of Commodore, I think C64 and Amiga, the 80s and 90s. What does early 2000s have to do with Commodore? Finally, the marketing photos are way off. Their models should be over-weight, greying and balding men in their 40s and 50s, because that’s their target audience surely?
Re: "We Have The Means To Fight This Case To The End" - Gaming's Most Infamous Trademark Troll Is Back
Ohhh, you’re so edgey Timothy
Re: "We Didn't Want To Keep You Waiting" - Here's The Resurrected Amiga 1200 In The Flesh
I recently bought their ‘The Spectrum’ and C64 (full sized) consoles and I’m really impressed with them. They look and feel really authentic with their working keyboards and original sizes. I’ve also been able to play any game I’ve tried via USB.
While I don’t really have any Nostalgia for the Amiga, other than a friend of mine having one growing up and me being fascinated by it, I think I’ll have to get this if it’s up to the same standard as their other consoles. It’s nice trying games I’ve never played before for a change, rather than the same old Nintendo and Sega games.
Re: Surprise! The Developers Behind Cuphead Just Announced A New 8-Bit Spin-Off For The Sega Master System
Glad they chose the Master System rather than the NES for a change. Most MS games look so much better, so this should look much better and colourful as a result.
Re: "I Think They Are Missing A Trick" - Evercade Boss Says The Games Industry Is Failing Older Players
I agree with him. I’m one of these older gamers, and the Evercade devices and games really do appeal to me. However, I just have so much other retro gaming hardware and games that I don’t want/need another device and set of games. If I was just coming into the scene, I’d probably go for Evercade, but I went down the rabbit hole long ago with original hardware and CRTs so I’m a lost cause now!
Re: "The Best To Ever Do It" - Warhammer And Fighting Fantasy Artist John Blanche Has Died
@Damo no worries. I highly recommend it. I put off buying it for quite a while because of how expensive it was, and I was unsure about its format (it’s effectively a set of discussions with various key figures from that period). But I’m glad I bit the bullet and bought it. It was excellent and because it’s two books in a slipcase it took me ages to get through it. Well worth the money. John Blanche isn’t directly interviewed, but he comes up in it numerous times, such as him interviewing Mike McVey when Mike first started working at GW.
Re: "The Best To Ever Do It" - Warhammer And Fighting Fantasy Artist John Blanche Has Died
His art was such a big factor of my childhood. The 2nd edition 40k’s box art, many of his illustrations in White Dwarf, Warhammer Armies and Codex books, and also the Fighting Fantasy Sorcery Series of books, where he did both the cover art and internal illustrations. There are also lots of good anecdotes about his time at Games Workshop in the 80s in the ‘Talking Miniatures’ book, which I highly recommend to anyone who was into GW during the 80s and 90s, even if not into it now.
Re: Before The Game Boy, Ninja Gaiden & Klonoa's Director Had His Own Vision For The Future Of Handheld Gaming
I mean, he directed Klonoa Door to Phantomile, one of the best games ever made, so it’s not too surprising he could come up with the Game Boy design two years before the Game Boy design was known.
Re: "I Am Not Making Up This Story" - You Won't Believe What Yuji Naka Wanted To Call Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg
Given he’s so self-centred I’m guessing he wanted to call the game Giant Cock to get a reference to himself in the title
Re: "It's Been A Labour Of Love" - 81-Year-Old Developer Colin Porch On The 'Head Over Heels' Sequel That Took 37 Years To Arrive
I’m only just now getting into ZX Spectrum games. I grew up with the C64 and Master System, I don’t recall ever knowing anyone with, or playing on, a Spectrum. I bought ‘The Spectrum’ mini console from Retro Games Ltd and I think it’s great. I love how it looks and feels like the real deal, right down to the working rubber/silicone keyboard.
Head over Heels is on there too so I’ll definitely be playing it.
Re: Can You Match These Konami Arcade Flyers With Their Games?
Those flyers were glorious!
Re: "I've Never Seen A Legacy Product Have Cutting-Edge Features Like This" - RetroTink 5X Gets "Quasi-4K" And HDR10 Support
I’ll have to give this a go. I’ve been underwhelmed by the 5X to be honest. I’m not doubting it’s a great upscaler compared to most other ones, it’s just I was expecting it to be much better than it is after all the glowing reviews from YouTubers. I was hoping I’d be happy enough with it to replace my CRT, but that isn’t the case.
I played my GameCube the other week on it using RGB 480i, to an HD 1080p TV, and I thought it looked pretty awful to be honest. Maybe I need to mess around with the settings, but I really can’t be bothered. I bought it because of its touted ‘plug and play’ ability. Maybe this firmware update will make me like it more.
Re: Review: Epilogue SN Operator - This $60 Device Unlocks Legal SNES Emulation Via Your Own Personal Collection
I’m really only interested in transferring and backing up save data from the cartridges. Is there a cheaper alternative for doing that? I have the Joey Jr for the Game Boy, and that does loads for a cheap price. You can transfer the save data AND rom files to your PC from the carts for three systems, and it can also be used like a pen drive with your phone to view and save photos from the GB Camera. And it’s much cheaper than this. I basically want a Joey Jr equivalent for the SNES.