@Deway I'm not sure out of the big players in entertainment who's all in yet, I have seen reports of a hell of a lot talking about using or introducing AI. Though it's difficult to tell in what ways yet and also how many may partially be playing to their shareholders.
I 100% believe we'll see some huge copyright lawsuits at some point and I suspect the most effective time for that would be post trump.
@Deway Understandable, but we're in an odd timeline currently, if the US president didn't have as much money invested in the Super Intelligence industry there might have been a bit more weight behind the copyright laws that empower their and other western oriented economies.
I'm interested in what the future holds with regards to IP rights, that's where I think interesting things will happen, if an LLM operating company pisses off the wrong IP owner and they end up financially liable that may send some waves. Especially as it seems that even though tons of people and companies are using LLMs to various degrees, according to a recent report the percentage of paying customers is comparitively low. Will it be worth them taking as many risks if a legal precedent is set?
If the current trajectory of gen AI game development stays it's current course, we're likely going to end up with a pretty dire game industry.
Where is the incentive for developers to risk investing their time and money into making new things? We're going to end up with the same thing that happened to the mobile games market, cheap Chinese reverse engineering the moment something is released or shown.
When I see people express indifference in this sort of thing or even celebrate it I'm left scratching my head.
I feel similarly disheartened by some of the twin's sentiments.
The whole AI subject is such a mess of misnomers, often completely unrelated tech and applications, that discussing it is a minefield, where people are often times talking about completely separate issues without realising.
I think AI for medicine, science, defence etc make total sense. AI tools that assist with programming (line completion and debugging) seems harmless enough if that's what you want to use. Prompting entire products or even parts of, not for me.
Obviously gen AI is a thing now, it won't disappear, but I do think there will always be those that actually create, "by hand", for the love of creating and their products are the ones I wish to spend my cash on.
Oh and on the subject of games looking indie or big budget. I don't mind the budget and prefer to see the brushstrokes.
Weird, I couldn't even remember it not being full screen. I've still got the cart from childhood still but haven't touched it in years as I recall the last time I tried feeling unpleasant compared to the 3D ones. That music in the video takes me back though.
@Kev711 The hyperbole doesn't convince me, but what a random stranger on the internet thinks about you isn't important. Regardless, I hope you have a good week!
@Kev711 "are you still here" it's been 5 days since I last commented on this article.
While I'm here, in relation to your last comment to @turboxray, your lack of respect for normal syntactical sentence structuring makes it hard to believe you code (at least not in a vibe-free context). I myself code 5-7 days a week, without using AI at all. I can say without a doubt that your statement "another fyi every coder uses ai" is false.
@Rahmus That's frustrating. I've contacted Analogue support with a feature request before and they replied within a day I think. At least it's mostly an update of conveniences, so it's not super pertinent.
@Rahmus Might be worth a skim of the AnalogueInc subreddit, there's 2 or 3 posts about issues with this update, which I think were overcome after some fiddling.
I think one person got a black screen on startup which didn't sort itself even after a power cycle. Eventually they removed the hdmi from the TV and plugged it back in, which seems to have forced it to recognise the connection. It's beyond me why that effected it but that's what they say did the trick.
I got my SummerCart to show a name now rather than Unknown. Lots of other welcome user experience improvements too.
I really like being able to change overclock settings while the game is running, meaning I can play stuff like Diddy Kong Racing without having to exit and disable overclocking before the bosses.
Looks awesome, though I don't think I'd stick with 3rd person long, being so used to 1st person. But there's other stuff in this hack that sounds interesting, I think I read it correctly that it has co-op?
As far as the knee sliding, that's canon, if anything I think the animation (or lack of) should stay and they should maybe add some holes in his trousers and bloody up his knees, the one that he drags across the floor anyway.
@Kev711 I see for you nuance and context are entirely irrelevant. There aren't many who'd claim AI has absolutely no useful application in the world.
The irony of heralding in the stunting of agency, knowledge and skill as progress, while also proclaiming to be the one who knows how the world works, fantastic, keep it up!
Ya know what I'm excited about? The democratisation of consumer electronics!
Yeah man once we get 3D printers that can output complex collections of materials, we can tear down all these "safety guards" and other methods the Man uses to gate-keep us true visionaries from our true destinies.
We can vibe-code our way to almost-subpar-near-Soviet-quality electronic devices. So what if pressing one of the buttons makes one of your fingers randomly explode? Look Mummy, I'm an engineer! Health and safety be damned!
If we can dream it, we can press print! Beyond that, all the complaints and injury claims, well that's their problem!
I've got the older Brawler64 in smoke colour, absolutely love it.
My single interaction with Retro Fighters support was superb too, the dongle without a mempak inserted would make a high pitched noise, I emailed them (years after purchase) and without any fuss they shipped one overseas at no cost to me. When it turned up it was an extreme green version, I wasn't crazy about the colour, but plugged in my black Analogue 3D it looks amazing.
@Damo did you play anything like Banjo Tooie that has sneaking on a tiny stick tilt range? If so was it workable? I had to plug an OG official controller in for those sections recently. The 8bitdo 64 controller was unplayable for me in that scenario.
Sounds like he may have been tricked, but his workforce estimates are crazy.
I'd be perfectly content with a collection that looks something like a cohesive 16bit design with some snazzy CRT filters. That type of project could be outsourced to a very small team and if that seems too pricey sweeten their compensation with a modest percentage of the revenue for the first x months/years.
The audience is surely predominatly fans of the originals or at least the era, then why not play to their nostalgia.
@axelhander You appear to have skimmed through specifically to cherry pick reasons to rationalise dismissing them all. If you really had valid points you'd easily be able to site reputable sources. That doesn't appear to be the case.
@Martin_H "I'm not sure what you mean by "the character of something". It seems like an empty phrase to me, akin to "the journey"."
Character can be defined many ways.
In the context of process and execution I'm referring to the microdecisions made countless times throughout the process of a creation.
You might read or hear someone reference an artist's brushstrokes adding to the character of a painting. Those brushstrokes are the result of conscious and subconcious microdecisions. Those decisions and their sum hold value.
@Martin_H Sliced bread? Though in all honesty I'm not certain how different the preceding bread portioning ideas were. I'd also like to confess I'm partial to an unsliced loaf, I enjoy a slab for toasting, but for sandwiches it really depends on the filling and whether or not grilling is involved.
@PaladinL "But using it to brainstorm, come up with fresh ideas, or something innovative and exciting?"
The tools as they exist currently, cannot come up with fresh ideas or innovate, they're derivative of the data sets they're trained on.
There's plenty of good uses for an LLM, but outsourcing is not creating, it's more or less comissioning, but a human wasn't paid... other than the few who hoovered up everyone else's hard work.
@axelhander If practically nobody cares about the use of gen AI, why does it irk you so much that some people on here don't wish to spend their cash on it?
In the comparison image of the shop, there's a lot that's lost or replaced with stuff that doesn't reflect the original.
On paper it sounds like a nice idea but the reality isn't something I'd play.
I'd rather a use a CRT-like overlay or if that couldn't be done just super sample and keep the original textures or even just good old vanilla resolution and visuals.
But I'm sure there's people out there who'd be into this.
@Damo They showed a picture of the PCBs in that or another recent episode of CUP, with an explanation from the unfortunate designer, who explained it had to be made to fit the design of the case. Could be worth showing on the article or another, it's weird looking and a comical reflection of Mr Tallarico's priorities.
Comments 169
Re: Feature: "It's Insulting & Hurtful" - Beetle Adventure Racing Decomp Dev Kicks Back Against The Rise Of AI Recomps
@Deway I thought Disney pulled out of that, I may have misheard.
Re: Feature: "It's Insulting & Hurtful" - Beetle Adventure Racing Decomp Dev Kicks Back Against The Rise Of AI Recomps
@Deway I'm not sure out of the big players in entertainment who's all in yet, I have seen reports of a hell of a lot talking about using or introducing AI. Though it's difficult to tell in what ways yet and also how many may partially be playing to their shareholders.
I 100% believe we'll see some huge copyright lawsuits at some point and I suspect the most effective time for that would be post trump.
Re: Feature: "It's Insulting & Hurtful" - Beetle Adventure Racing Decomp Dev Kicks Back Against The Rise Of AI Recomps
@Deway Understandable, but we're in an odd timeline currently, if the US president didn't have as much money invested in the Super Intelligence industry there might have been a bit more weight behind the copyright laws that empower their and other western oriented economies.
I'm interested in what the future holds with regards to IP rights, that's where I think interesting things will happen, if an LLM operating company pisses off the wrong IP owner and they end up financially liable that may send some waves. Especially as it seems that even though tons of people and companies are using LLMs to various degrees, according to a recent report the percentage of paying customers is comparitively low. Will it be worth them taking as many risks if a legal precedent is set?
Re: Feature: "It's Insulting & Hurtful" - Beetle Adventure Racing Decomp Dev Kicks Back Against The Rise Of AI Recomps
@-wc- You just reminded me of the origin of the two finger salute, I love how that came about through the longbow.
edit: Your comment just disappeared... oh well.
Re: Feature: "It's Insulting & Hurtful" - Beetle Adventure Racing Decomp Dev Kicks Back Against The Rise Of AI Recomps
If the current trajectory of gen AI game development stays it's current course, we're likely going to end up with a pretty dire game industry.
Where is the incentive for developers to risk investing their time and money into making new things? We're going to end up with the same thing that happened to the mobile games market, cheap Chinese reverse engineering the moment something is released or shown.
When I see people express indifference in this sort of thing or even celebrate it I'm left scratching my head.
Re: SuperStation One's $20 Memory Card Goes on Sale Today, and Yes, It Plays DOOM
Looks really good quality, nice price too!
Re: "If I Didn't Have These Powerful Tools, I Wouldn't Do It at All" - The Oliver Twins Explain Why They're Dizzy About GenAI
I feel similarly disheartened by some of the twin's sentiments.
The whole AI subject is such a mess of misnomers, often completely unrelated tech and applications, that discussing it is a minefield, where people are often times talking about completely separate issues without realising.
I think AI for medicine, science, defence etc make total sense. AI tools that assist with programming (line completion and debugging) seems harmless enough if that's what you want to use. Prompting entire products or even parts of, not for me.
Obviously gen AI is a thing now, it won't disappear, but I do think there will always be those that actually create, "by hand", for the love of creating and their products are the ones I wish to spend my cash on.
Oh and on the subject of games looking indie or big budget. I don't mind the budget and prefer to see the brushstrokes.
Re: This Super Mario Kart ROM Hack Removes the Game's Annoying Single-Player Shortcoming
Weird, I couldn't even remember it not being full screen. I've still got the cart from childhood still but haven't touched it in years as I recall the last time I tried feeling unpleasant compared to the 3D ones. That music in the video takes me back though.
Re: "It Trivialises The Hobby" - GoldenEye Running On SNES Triggers More Debate Over Vibe-Coded Retro Projects
@Kev711 The hyperbole doesn't convince me, but what a random stranger on the internet thinks about you isn't important. Regardless, I hope you have a good week!
Re: James Pond Legacy GenAI Controversy "Has Damaged Confidence In System 3" Admits Studio Boss
@Crecca On a handheld screen that'll do me. Cheers!
Re: "It Trivialises The Hobby" - GoldenEye Running On SNES Triggers More Debate Over Vibe-Coded Retro Projects
@Kev711 "are you still here" it's been 5 days since I last commented on this article.
While I'm here, in relation to your last comment to @turboxray, your lack of respect for normal syntactical sentence structuring makes it hard to believe you code (at least not in a vibe-free context). I myself code 5-7 days a week, without using AI at all. I can say without a doubt that your statement "another fyi every coder uses ai" is false.
Re: Analogue 3D Firmware Update v1.5.1 Is Now Available, And Here Are The Full Patch Notes
@Rahmus That's frustrating. I've contacted Analogue support with a feature request before and they replied within a day I think. At least it's mostly an update of conveniences, so it's not super pertinent.
Re: Analogue 3D Firmware Update v1.5.1 Is Now Available, And Here Are The Full Patch Notes
@Rahmus Might be worth a skim of the AnalogueInc subreddit, there's 2 or 3 posts about issues with this update, which I think were overcome after some fiddling.
I think one person got a black screen on startup which didn't sort itself even after a power cycle. Eventually they removed the hdmi from the TV and plugged it back in, which seems to have forced it to recognise the connection. It's beyond me why that effected it but that's what they say did the trick.
Hope you get it sorted!
Re: Analogue 3D Firmware Update v1.5.1 Is Now Available, And Here Are The Full Patch Notes
You lot could save some cash if you pool together on a single roll of tin foil, rather than one each.
Re: Analogue 3D Firmware Update v1.5.1 Is Now Available, And Here Are The Full Patch Notes
It's a goodun!
I got my SummerCart to show a name now rather than Unknown. Lots of other welcome user experience improvements too.
I really like being able to change overclock settings while the game is running, meaning I can play stuff like Diddy Kong Racing without having to exit and disable overclocking before the bosses.
Re: Want To Know More About The Origins Of Vault Boy? This New Video From Fallout's Creator Gets A Thumbs Up From Us
I hope more game devs later in their career put out this sort of content about the stuff they worked on. Fascinating!
Re: "It Trivialises The Hobby" - GoldenEye Running On SNES Triggers More Debate Over Vibe-Coded Retro Projects
@Kev711 "spoken like true ai"
Because I punctuate?
Re: "One Of The Finest Coders I'd Worked With" - Tributes Pour In For Star Citizen, Wetrix & Project Gotham Racing Dev, David Bone Gill
Sounds like a wonderful friend and colleague. Those were some really touching sentiments and memories too.
Re: "It Trivialises The Hobby" - GoldenEye Running On SNES Triggers More Debate Over Vibe-Coded Retro Projects
@dodgykebaab "What's the difference?"
AI cannot be inspired or create original works, humans can.
Re: "A Piece Of N64 History, No Longer Lost" - Unreleased Title 'Kaminari no Gotoku: Choukousoku Igo' Found & Preserved
@GlamReaper I'd forgotten about those, like Minstrels but with a white choc one too, really nice!
Re: Amazing GoldenEye 007 Third-Person Mod Brings A New View (To A Kill) To Rare's N64 Classic
Looks awesome, though I don't think I'd stick with 3rd person long, being so used to 1st person. But there's other stuff in this hack that sounds interesting, I think I read it correctly that it has co-op?
As far as the knee sliding, that's canon, if anything I think the animation (or lack of) should stay and they should maybe add some holes in his trousers and bloody up his knees, the one that he drags across the floor anyway.
Re: The Neo Geo AES+ Was Almost Cancelled Thanks To The RAMpoclayse
@Ruka Makes sense, if I'd ordered one I'd be probably be pleased they found a decent trade-off to move things along.
Re: The Neo Geo AES+ Was Almost Cancelled Thanks To The RAMpoclayse
@Ruka Ah k cheers. I was very confused then, I thought they were supplementing a part from the system with a repurposed part from the cartridges.
Re: "It Trivialises The Hobby" - GoldenEye Running On SNES Triggers More Debate Over Vibe-Coded Retro Projects
@Kev711 I see for you nuance and context are entirely irrelevant. There aren't many who'd claim AI has absolutely no useful application in the world.
The irony of heralding in the stunting of agency, knowledge and skill as progress, while also proclaiming to be the one who knows how the world works, fantastic, keep it up!
Re: The Neo Geo AES+ Was Almost Cancelled Thanks To The RAMpoclayse
Will this effect how closely it performs to the original?
Re: Lara Croft Is Coming Home: Campaign Raises £30K To Install Tomb Raider Statue In Derby
That's really cool!
I'd love it if Wallasey council erected a Miner Willy statue.
Re: "It Trivialises The Hobby" - GoldenEye Running On SNES Triggers More Debate Over Vibe-Coded Retro Projects
@Kev711 Well unless you are in close proximity to them, how do you know if they're "crying over machines"?
Is everyone who doesn't share your perspective nonsensical?
Re: "It Trivialises The Hobby" - GoldenEye Running On SNES Triggers More Debate Over Vibe-Coded Retro Projects
@Kev711 Are you stalking them?
Re: "It Trivialises The Hobby" - GoldenEye Running On SNES Triggers More Debate Over Vibe-Coded Retro Projects
Urrgh this feels very Monday morning.
Ya know what I'm excited about? The democratisation of consumer electronics!
Yeah man once we get 3D printers that can output complex collections of materials, we can tear down all these "safety guards" and other methods the Man uses to gate-keep us true visionaries from our true destinies.
We can vibe-code our way to almost-subpar-near-Soviet-quality electronic devices. So what if pressing one of the buttons makes one of your fingers randomly explode? Look Mummy, I'm an engineer! Health and safety be damned!
If we can dream it, we can press print! Beyond that, all the complaints and injury claims, well that's their problem!
Re: Nintendo Wii And Kinect Games Could Have A Second Life Thanks To This Cube-Like Console
I find all these black box with mics and cameras type devices super creepy.
Re: Artist Adds Iconic Sniper Rifle To Their 3D-Printed GoldenEye 007 Arsenal
I'd make the GoldenEye Key from Bunker 1.
Edit: And a second copy so no one knows which is the real one.
Re: Hands On: Retro Fighters Brawler64 Pro - A Solid Controller For N64, And More
I've got the older Brawler64 in smoke colour, absolutely love it.
My single interaction with Retro Fighters support was superb too, the dongle without a mempak inserted would make a high pitched noise, I emailed them (years after purchase) and without any fuss they shipped one overseas at no cost to me. When it turned up it was an extreme green version, I wasn't crazy about the colour, but plugged in my black Analogue 3D it looks amazing.
@Damo did you play anything like Banjo Tooie that has sneaking on a tiny stick tilt range? If so was it workable? I had to plug an OG official controller in for those sections recently. The 8bitdo 64 controller was unplayable for me in that scenario.
Re: System 3 CEO Says Antstream Misled Him Over Use Of GenAI In James Pond Legacy
Sounds like he may have been tricked, but his workforce estimates are crazy.
I'd be perfectly content with a collection that looks something like a cohesive 16bit design with some snazzy CRT filters. That type of project could be outsourced to a very small team and if that seems too pricey sweeten their compensation with a modest percentage of the revenue for the first x months/years.
The audience is surely predominatly fans of the originals or at least the era, then why not play to their nostalgia.
Re: Scientific Research Concludes Playing Super Mario 64 Literally Expands Your Brain
Then I shall be gaming full time once I buy some larger hats.
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
@Damo I don't think @axelhander can hear you with their fingers in their ears.
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
@axelhander You appear to have skimmed through specifically to cherry pick reasons to rationalise dismissing them all. If you really had valid points you'd easily be able to site reputable sources. That doesn't appear to be the case.
Re: Evercade Banjo-Kazooie Cart Will Include Unreleased Game Mode Bottles' Revenge
They're going all out with this cartridge!
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
@Martin_H "I'm not sure what you mean by "the character of something". It seems like an empty phrase to me, akin to "the journey"."
Character can be defined many ways.
In the context of process and execution I'm referring to the microdecisions made countless times throughout the process of a creation.
You might read or hear someone reference an artist's brushstrokes adding to the character of a painting. Those brushstrokes are the result of conscious and subconcious microdecisions. Those decisions and their sum hold value.
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
@Deway I just inhaled some cereal thanks to that line.
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
@Martin_H I think in that you're correct 99.999...% of the time.
For me there is great value in the process and execution, as I think much of the character of something is born within those.
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
@Martin_H Sliced bread? Though in all honesty I'm not certain how different the preceding bread portioning ideas were. I'd also like to confess I'm partial to an unsliced loaf, I enjoy a slab for toasting, but for sandwiches it really depends on the filling and whether or not grilling is involved.
What would you go with?
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
@PaladinL "But using it to brainstorm, come up with fresh ideas, or something innovative and exciting?"
The tools as they exist currently, cannot come up with fresh ideas or innovate, they're derivative of the data sets they're trained on.
There's plenty of good uses for an LLM, but outsourcing is not creating, it's more or less comissioning, but a human wasn't paid... other than the few who hoovered up everyone else's hard work.
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
@axelhander If practically nobody cares about the use of gen AI, why does it irk you so much that some people on here don't wish to spend their cash on it?
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
@vicmackey Literally 50% of your comments on this account so far reference communism, yet I don't see anyone else doing that.
Anti-capitalistism too you claim, not sure how you get that either considering the nature and workings of this industry that we all partake in.
Re: "He Was Giddy" - Even Lord British Has Succumbed To The Allure Of GenAI
But... he still hasn't MADE his own fantasy language.
Re: The Controversial 'James Pond Legacy' Gets A New Gameplay Trailer
In the modern reality of exceedingly congested video game releases a good first impression is quite important.
I've no trust in this product and nothing from the people involved in it would change that. The bridge hath been burnest.
Re: "Let's Get The Last Beautiful Things Hiding On Our Hard Drives Out There" - Project Dream, Rare's Unreleased Banjo-Kazooie Predecessor, Leaks Online
Oooh GOOD morning!
Edit: Those backgrounds are beautiful! The text document was pretty on point too.
Re: This AI-Assisted Escape from Monkey Island Fan Project Makes Me Long For An Official Remaster
In the comparison image of the shop, there's a lot that's lost or replaced with stuff that doesn't reflect the original.
On paper it sounds like a nice idea but the reality isn't something I'd play.
I'd rather a use a CRT-like overlay or if that couldn't be done just super sample and keep the original textures or even just good old vanilla resolution and visuals.
But I'm sure there's people out there who'd be into this.
Re: "I Haven't Been Paid In A While" Admits Amico CEO While Insisting That Tommy Tallarico Is Still "Active" In Raising Funds
@Damo They showed a picture of the PCBs in that or another recent episode of CUP, with an explanation from the unfortunate designer, who explained it had to be made to fit the design of the case. Could be worth showing on the article or another, it's weird looking and a comical reflection of Mr Tallarico's priorities.
Re: "I Haven't Been Paid In A While" Admits Amico CEO While Insisting That Tommy Tallarico Is Still "Active" In Raising Funds
@Soupbones Yeah, it's still going, though Ian is moving back to his home state shortly so this episode is the final in person one for a while.
I hope they keep it going, even if just remotely.