@Fanboy_Destroyer "21k a year and you think he's started this waffle about AI because it's ruining an open source project? An open source project he feels he's entitled to gate keep..."
The whataboutism doesn't address Jotego's points.
Could you explain what agreement or license Jotego has broken?
I've yet to explore the world of MiSTer in any great detail.
@DadGamerUK It may well be a factor, though it doesn't invalidate the issues raised.
On the $20k a month point though, they are immensely lucky to have found a niche and make significant funds from it, though those types of development opportunities are generally pretty fleeting and unreliable as people often don't subscribe unless something major is released. So good for them in the mean time!
Time Extension aren't pro gen AI much, they just wrote recently about a competing website that just generates all their extremely sloppy content. TE have an interest in that site not existing, but that doesn't mean their point of view on the subject is irrelevant because they're financially invested.
Same with me and my work, gen AI threatens it, I'd like to think I can still express an opinion on the subject.
@Kandowontu "People can't decide if they are mad that its AI, that its using MAME based code for chips that haven't been broken down, or that its going to "chase away real developers"."
Quote from that last tweet "You guys are fighting the steam engine during the industrial revolution. You already lost. AI is here and is transforming the world in real time. Get on board or get left behind."
This sort of line, which I've seen regurgitated over and over always conjures the sensation of a little bit of sick forming in the back of my throat.
Progress is apparently sitting around watching other people be productive and eventually pressing a magic button that transfers the credit to you whilst simultaneously smearing faeces on the thing.
@heligo I often experience cognitive dissonance when an industry leading company tells me they won't provide x services because "people don't want it any more, the market hath spoken", it's nearly always just them forcing change.
Though no doubt arcades have declined in popularity, there's still a financially viable demand, it just needs the right business model.
As is often the case, we don't value what we had until it's gone.
@Peteykins Haha yeah, that's one version of the infinite loop, I find that preferable to compulsively purchasing every variant. My wallet couldn't take it!
I've still got the OG GBA SP, I really should just replace the screen on that.
Every now and then I find myself looking into Anbernic handhelds, I usually end up weighing up getting one of the RG SP models but never pull the trigger.
If they could use GB/GBC/GBA carts I'd be more interested.
When I was a kid I was in London with family and we passed Sega World, before we moved on I had a couple minutes spare to look around, sadly no time to play anything but I did get to experience the ridiculously long escalator and soak in the sights n sounds. It blew my slightly tinier mind!
@QuarterSwede I've still got a magazine stored away with an advert/preview of the Ultra 64. Got an Ultra 64 jewel sticker for my modded Japanese console a few years back too.
I wonder if in a different timeline they chose a different name for Super Mario 64 without the number in the title, would we have seen so many other games with 64 in the name? There are quite a few.
Sounds interesting but if you're tech savvy enough to dump your own physical games I doubt you'd balk at sticking a few ROMs on your devices locally (with no lag or data use).
There is the cloud stuff which is a plus, but if you aren't dumping your own games then surely this is just a paper trail about all your naughty deeds?
If you go all out on the premium subscription it sounds like you're then burning tokens on some LLM service for translation and other AI features.
I think any console that departs from physical games is one step closer to irrelevance.
In my mind there are a handful of things that tether a successful brand like PlayStation in a strong and stable way. Three of those are hardware, intellectual property and software. They just made their hardware a bit less important.
Considering the hard push some in the industry have made for a streaming future, it's quite possible PlayStation and Xbox hardware will be reduced to a controller in the future. If that happens, all it'll take is something like the next Roblox with it's own streaming platform to reduce their market shares.
I'd rather PlayStation stuck around. I don't think that happens long term if we don't have our own hardware and software in our homes.
I'm not keen on the idea of a closed digital only console, especially with Sony revoking film purchases. I lack confidence in the idea of buying any more digital software from Sony.
@Coalescence Slop is the perfect term. It's such a short word that reflects perfectly the amount of effort put into the generation of said slop. Ending with a hard plosive is extra satisfying too!
@Daric Well clicks are what makes the internet go round.
I completely disagree with your classification of articles on this subject on Time Extension being rage bait or that it is irrelevant.
This piece is a continuation of the other recent Crazy Taxi pieces.
I see a similar opinion to yours expressed on PCGamer sometimes by a handful of commenters, it's generally in the spirit of "this is meant to be a gaming site", but the AI market directly effects the games industry and the hobby surrounding it.
I appreciate it's not your cup of tea but that doesn't mean the site should cater to you specifically, especially when pretty much everything to do with tech hardware and software is being effected by this unprecedented disruption.
Until the markets settle (and hopefully recede somewhat) and everyone gets comfortable with whatever the new norm is gonna be, this type of news is and will be relevant.
Geez, if I were SEGA I'd be on top of checking this stuff. It's obviously not a mortal sin, but it is indicative of their care and attention to detail.
If I were a betting man I'd say the odds are high that this stuff will make it into the game.
@metaphysician Not that I'm a Konami fan particularily, but this could threaten their profits to some degree as the game is still actively sold. If it were long abandoned I'd agree but it's not and they're currently revisiting older entries in the series.
It's good to hear more opinions from individuals working in or close to roles affected by this stuff. I don't really care what the Andrew Wilsons and Tim Sweeneys of the industry think.
As I was reading that I was expecting Heritage Auctions to come up, so I'm just gonna presume they "sold" it to a group of speculators and that it'll never leave the auctioneer's storage.
@h3s FPS games just port well to VR, so long as the hands can move independently, then all the other features they can cram in improve it further.
HL Alyx as you mentioned it is still (I think) the pinnacle of the genre. The feeling of the last bullet in your gun being fired and then having to duck behind something for cover while you fumble to reload is pretty special.
I've had many wonderfully hilarious moments trying to load individual bullets into a revolver (while under fire) in various games and just dropping the bullets on the floor. I'd be useless in a real life gun fight.
Also I have to wear glasses generally, I found that crazy irritating in VR, so I ordered prescription lenses. Game changer!
Also, not very impressive for 5 days of a (senior) dev's time.
The character controller is incredibly rigid, it's just a simple character controller moving in a bog standard ground adhering way (with a constant velocity) until it reaches a surface where the mesh normals are not facing close to up or down, then it magically slides around.
There's a handful of extremely basic meshes, a simple grass/foliage shader and a very basic water shader.
I mean it's not nothing, but it's not good.
I don't understand why they'd show this off publicly.
@PopetheRev28 No, on procedural generation? It's not generative AI.
It sounds like you do not know either.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, equally, whether or not you think they know what they're talking about, though I would suggest you brush up on the subject before pointing fingers.
@ojisan It's nice having a dose of nostalgia once in a while, but doesn't it sour the taste a little when it's done like this?
It's sort of like being served your favourite dish your gran used to make you, but posthumously as she's long since passed and you're slotting credits into a vending machine for an AI approximation of it. Mmmm... nourishes the soul.
I want this so much now. I was raised on Reeves and Mortimer, The Fast Show and Red Dwarf. I'd play anything based on Red Dwarf but a point and click adventure seems like a fantastic fit.
@Hexapus I have great appreciation for the audio and visuals, even the level design actually. I may have to look around in hope for a ROM hack that zooms out a little.
I actually prefer the Master System Sonics. I wasn't a fan of the speed of the Mega Drive ones for how zoomed in they appeared, not enough reaction time for me. I may be remembering them poorly though as I got the Super Nintendo and only played Mega Drive round other peoples houses.
@Cronodoug The percentage of carts sold through online marketplaces that are counterfeit is generally pretty low. It's easy to get a refund if you've been mis-sold and most collectors are probably wise to them.
As time goes by I'm sure they'll be more common but for now it's pretty easy to get genuine carts. I've bought about 30 recently without falling for a single reproduction, I've seen them but there's usually several tells.
But obviously... if you don't have them you can't dump them.
@AtomB Isn't the difference whether or not it's done for profit? You can still pirate something that isn't produced.
Also I'd imagine Nintendo could argue they are still "sold" or at least actively monetised by them as some of the ROMs in question are part of their subscription service.
Other than the late 90s, I don't recall a more exciting time for the N64. With this, an array of console mods + accessories, Analogue 3D, and Pyrite64 I've been in my element. It feels like the N64's best years are still to come, especially because of Pyrite64.
@WaveBoy You can choose not to apply any overclock, or use a lesser one that may not effect the intro. However once you feel the difference in gameplay it's hard to go back to stock. I usually skip the intro anyway, seen it thousands of times.
I didn't like the idea of the eject button on the M64, those old carts are already becoming progressively more brittle and pulling them out the normal way is so simple I do it entirely with one hand.
I just went for the black A3D, I'm more into the idea of something that harks back to the original design with subtle changes over the chunky toy look of the M64 but I get why some would be into it. I've only ever had the original style N64s (my OG PAL and an NTSC-J), never the Funtastic range so I don't have any attachment to colourful transparent models. I find the form and feel of the A3D to be very premium, the geometry and materials look exceptional in person and I actually find it more premium and appealling than my most modern console, the PS5.
If you're a fan of the N64 and you pick up a modern remake I've no doubt you'll enjoy it, it's nice to step back into a world of gaming before DLC and subscriptions.
@-wc- I read comments from other users who had trouble saving their progress in Doom 64, I think it maybe requires a simultaneous button input, which if that's the case it may be that rather than c-left and c-right being independant true/false or 0/1 inputs, it may instead work as a single int value with -1 being c-left and 1 being c-right, in which case the two pressed together would output 0.
That's just a guess but I recall debugging an XBox 360 controller in Unity ages ago and the left and right triggers worked like that but as a single float.
Comments 169
Re: "You Might As Well Play On A Raspberry Pi" - The World Of MiSTer FPGA Remains Divided Over "AI Slop" Cores
@Fanboy_Destroyer I'm at a loss as to why you reacted in that way.
What crime has Jotego commited?
Re: "You Might As Well Play On A Raspberry Pi" - The World Of MiSTer FPGA Remains Divided Over "AI Slop" Cores
@Fanboy_Destroyer "21k a year and you think he's started this waffle about AI because it's ruining an open source project? An open source project he feels he's entitled to gate keep..."
The whataboutism doesn't address Jotego's points.
Could you explain what agreement or license Jotego has broken?
I've yet to explore the world of MiSTer in any great detail.
Re: "You Might As Well Play On A Raspberry Pi" - The World Of MiSTer FPGA Remains Divided Over "AI Slop" Cores
@DadGamerUK It may well be a factor, though it doesn't invalidate the issues raised.
On the $20k a month point though, they are immensely lucky to have found a niche and make significant funds from it, though those types of development opportunities are generally pretty fleeting and unreliable as people often don't subscribe unless something major is released. So good for them in the mean time!
Time Extension aren't pro gen AI much, they just wrote recently about a competing website that just generates all their extremely sloppy content. TE have an interest in that site not existing, but that doesn't mean their point of view on the subject is irrelevant because they're financially invested.
Same with me and my work, gen AI threatens it, I'd like to think I can still express an opinion on the subject.
Re: "You Might As Well Play On A Raspberry Pi" - The World Of MiSTer FPGA Remains Divided Over "AI Slop" Cores
@Kandowontu "People can't decide if they are mad that its AI, that its using MAME based code for chips that haven't been broken down, or that its going to "chase away real developers"."
That sounds like three pretty good reasons.
Re: "You Might As Well Play On A Raspberry Pi" - The World Of MiSTer FPGA Remains Divided Over "AI Slop" Cores
@DadGamerUK Do you disagree with the cores they made being "their"s?
Re: "You Might As Well Play On A Raspberry Pi" - The World Of MiSTer FPGA Remains Divided Over "AI Slop" Cores
Quote from that last tweet "You guys are fighting the steam engine during the industrial revolution. You already lost. AI is here and is transforming the world in real time. Get on board or get left behind."
This sort of line, which I've seen regurgitated over and over always conjures the sensation of a little bit of sick forming in the back of my throat.
Progress is apparently sitting around watching other people be productive and eventually pressing a magic button that transfers the credit to you whilst simultaneously smearing faeces on the thing.
The future is bright, the future smells funny.
Re: Random: "That Would Be Wonderful" - Count Binface Wants To Reboot London's SegaWorld
@heligo I often experience cognitive dissonance when an industry leading company tells me they won't provide x services because "people don't want it any more, the market hath spoken", it's nearly always just them forcing change.
Though no doubt arcades have declined in popularity, there's still a financially viable demand, it just needs the right business model.
As is often the case, we don't value what we had until it's gone.
Re: "Relive The Pure Joy Of The 2D Golden Era" - Meet The RG SP, Anbernic's Latest GBA SP-Inspired Handheld
@Peteykins Haha yeah, that's one version of the infinite loop, I find that preferable to compulsively purchasing every variant. My wallet couldn't take it!
I've still got the OG GBA SP, I really should just replace the screen on that.
Re: "We're Taking You Closer To The Event Than Ever Before" - Early Conker & Banjo Footage Among Materials Preserved In New VGHF E3 Collections
I love these old videos, thanks for drawing attention to them!
Re: "Relive The Pure Joy Of The 2D Golden Era" - Meet The RG SP, Anbernic's Latest GBA SP-Inspired Handheld
Every now and then I find myself looking into Anbernic handhelds, I usually end up weighing up getting one of the RG SP models but never pull the trigger.
If they could use GB/GBC/GBA carts I'd be more interested.
They seem very good regardless.
Re: Random: "That Would Be Wonderful" - Count Binface Wants To Reboot London's SegaWorld
When I was a kid I was in London with family and we passed Sega World, before we moved on I had a couple minutes spare to look around, sadly no time to play anything but I did get to experience the ridiculously long escalator and soak in the sights n sounds. It blew my slightly tinier mind!
Re: Latest Analogue 3D Update Introduces "Internal Graphical Upscaling"
That's pretty special. Guess I'm stopping working an hour early!
Re: "This Sucks Ass" - Mario Kart Wii Is Getting An AI-Assisted Recomp, And Some People Aren't Happy
Awesome article.
Very much feels like a race to the bottom with these vibe coded projects.
Re: A Legendary Japanese Game Dev Once Told Miyamoto Mario 64 Was Like "A Really Strict After-School Sports Club"
@QuarterSwede I've still got a magazine stored away with an advert/preview of the Ultra 64. Got an Ultra 64 jewel sticker for my modded Japanese console a few years back too.
I wonder if in a different timeline they chose a different name for Super Mario 64 without the number in the title, would we have seen so many other games with 64 in the name? There are quite a few.
Re: A Legendary Japanese Game Dev Once Told Miyamoto Mario 64 Was Like "A Really Strict After-School Sports Club"
The Shoshinkai video is amazing! Watching people playing Mario 64 for the first time takes me back.
I swear my bottom fell out when that person went straight into the volcano level before they'd even worked out how to rotate the camera.
Re: "Games Like PaRappa The Rapper Don't Get Made Anymore" - Shawn Layden Thinks Mainstream Gaming Has Gotten Too Safe
This seems to have been the case in AAA for a very long time. Not as much with indie though.
Re: "This Whole Thing Has Just Been A Slap To My Face" - Dreamcast RPG Tricolore Crise Just Got An AI Fan Patch, & People Aren't Happy
Grim Reaper: "What was your greatest accomplishment in life?"
AI Chud: "Farmed some internet clout!"
Re: Agent 64 Is The Perfect Dark & GoldenEye 007 Successor We've Been Waiting For, And It Arrives Next Month
Sounds up my street, I'll keep an eye on it post launch to see how it fares.
Re: "PSP And Dreamcast Are The Most Likely To Land Next" - Afterplay Creator On Pushing The Limits Of Browser-Based Emulation
Sounds interesting but if you're tech savvy enough to dump your own physical games I doubt you'd balk at sticking a few ROMs on your devices locally (with no lag or data use).
There is the cloud stuff which is a plus, but if you aren't dumping your own games then surely this is just a paper trail about all your naughty deeds?
If you go all out on the premium subscription it sounds like you're then burning tokens on some LLM service for translation and other AI features.
It does sound a clever idea though.
Re: I'm Really Not Sure How I Feel About Sony Killing Physical Media
I think any console that departs from physical games is one step closer to irrelevance.
In my mind there are a handful of things that tether a successful brand like PlayStation in a strong and stable way. Three of those are hardware, intellectual property and software. They just made their hardware a bit less important.
Considering the hard push some in the industry have made for a streaming future, it's quite possible PlayStation and Xbox hardware will be reduced to a controller in the future. If that happens, all it'll take is something like the next Roblox with it's own streaming platform to reduce their market shares.
I'd rather PlayStation stuck around. I don't think that happens long term if we don't have our own hardware and software in our homes.
Re: I'm Really Not Sure How I Feel About Sony Killing Physical Media
I'm not keen on the idea of a closed digital only console, especially with Sony revoking film purchases. I lack confidence in the idea of buying any more digital software from Sony.
Re: Sega Appears To Have Been Caught Using GenAI Again, This Time With Dreamcast Keychains
@Coalescence Slop is the perfect term. It's such a short word that reflects perfectly the amount of effort put into the generation of said slop. Ending with a hard plosive is extra satisfying too!
Re: Sega's Crazy Taxi Spins Its Wheels Thanks To Another GenAI Kerfuffle
@Daric The fact that you wilfully refuse to admit a common thread that brought it light is impressive.
Do try to enjoy the rest of your day!
Re: Sega's Crazy Taxi Spins Its Wheels Thanks To Another GenAI Kerfuffle
@Daric Well clicks are what makes the internet go round.
I completely disagree with your classification of articles on this subject on Time Extension being rage bait or that it is irrelevant.
This piece is a continuation of the other recent Crazy Taxi pieces.
I see a similar opinion to yours expressed on PCGamer sometimes by a handful of commenters, it's generally in the spirit of "this is meant to be a gaming site", but the AI market directly effects the games industry and the hobby surrounding it.
I appreciate it's not your cup of tea but that doesn't mean the site should cater to you specifically, especially when pretty much everything to do with tech hardware and software is being effected by this unprecedented disruption.
Until the markets settle (and hopefully recede somewhat) and everyone gets comfortable with whatever the new norm is gonna be, this type of news is and will be relevant.
Re: Sega's Crazy Taxi Spins Its Wheels Thanks To Another GenAI Kerfuffle
@Daric Rather than pointing fingers at those that oppose your own desired reading subjects, you may find value in reading the room.
There's obviously a lot of interest and concern regarding this topic expressed by it's readers
Why did you read it at all? Your click confirms that the article was worth displaying.
Re: Sega's Crazy Taxi Spins Its Wheels Thanks To Another GenAI Kerfuffle
Geez, if I were SEGA I'd be on top of checking this stuff. It's obviously not a mortal sin, but it is indicative of their care and attention to detail.
If I were a betting man I'd say the odds are high that this stuff will make it into the game.
Re: Konami Is Suing To Find The Identity Of The Metal Gear Solid 2 Source Code Leaker
@metaphysician Not that I'm a Konami fan particularily, but this could threaten their profits to some degree as the game is still actively sold. If it were long abandoned I'd agree but it's not and they're currently revisiting older entries in the series.
Re: "Capture, Preserve, And Share" - Analogue 3D Firmware Update Introduces Gallery Mode
Lovely stuff, another substantial feature. Bangin!
Re: Site News: Want To Work On Time Extension? Now's Your Chance
That sounds like a fun job! I'm in the UK and a gaming obsessive but I've got zero journalism experience.
Re: "It Feels Like Intellectual Theft" - Bitmap Bureau Isn't A Fan Of GenAI
It's good to hear more opinions from individuals working in or close to roles affected by this stuff. I don't really care what the Andrew Wilsons and Tim Sweeneys of the industry think.
Re: "Not Touched For Nearly 40 Years" - Rare Copy Of Super Mario Bros. Sells For $3 Million
As I was reading that I was expecting Heritage Auctions to come up, so I'm just gonna presume they "sold" it to a group of speculators and that it'll never leave the auctioneer's storage.
Re: "This Is From Zelda, If You Didn't Know" - Test Footage Highlights The Danger Of Using GenAI In Video Game Development
@Martin_H Reading your comment is quite illuminating.
You actually think by typing some prompts that YOU have created the output? Now that is delusion!
Re: "This Is From Zelda, If You Didn't Know" - Test Footage Highlights The Danger Of Using GenAI In Video Game Development
@Martin_H Does that clan still exist? Perhaps the copyright/trademark has lapsed, it's been a good few hundred years since they were big players.
Re: "The Best Shooter Experience I've Had With Virtual Reality" - A Public Version Of Perfect Dark's VR Port Is Coming Soon
@h3s FPS games just port well to VR, so long as the hands can move independently, then all the other features they can cram in improve it further.
HL Alyx as you mentioned it is still (I think) the pinnacle of the genre. The feeling of the last bullet in your gun being fired and then having to duck behind something for cover while you fumble to reload is pretty special.
I've had many wonderfully hilarious moments trying to load individual bullets into a revolver (while under fire) in various games and just dropping the bullets on the floor. I'd be useless in a real life gun fight.
Also I have to wear glasses generally, I found that crazy irritating in VR, so I ordered prescription lenses. Game changer!
Re: "This Is From Zelda, If You Didn't Know" - Test Footage Highlights The Danger Of Using GenAI In Video Game Development
That's vile.
Also, not very impressive for 5 days of a (senior) dev's time.
The character controller is incredibly rigid, it's just a simple character controller moving in a bog standard ground adhering way (with a constant velocity) until it reaches a surface where the mesh normals are not facing close to up or down, then it magically slides around.
There's a handful of extremely basic meshes, a simple grass/foliage shader and a very basic water shader.
I mean it's not nothing, but it's not good.
I don't understand why they'd show this off publicly.
Re: "How Embarrassing" - Sega's Getting Some Serious Blowback For Using GenAI In Crazy Taxi: World Tour
@PopetheRev28 No, on procedural generation? It's not generative AI.
It sounds like you do not know either.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, equally, whether or not you think they know what they're talking about, though I would suggest you brush up on the subject before pointing fingers.
Re: "How Embarrassing" - Sega's Getting Some Serious Blowback For Using GenAI In Crazy Taxi: World Tour
@PopetheRev28 What's your point though?
Re: "How Embarrassing" - Sega's Getting Some Serious Blowback For Using GenAI In Crazy Taxi: World Tour
@ojisan It's nice having a dose of nostalgia once in a while, but doesn't it sour the taste a little when it's done like this?
It's sort of like being served your favourite dish your gran used to make you, but posthumously as she's long since passed and you're slotting credits into a vending machine for an AI approximation of it. Mmmm... nourishes the soul.
I do love a tortured metaphor!
Re: "What Was That Noise?" - The System Shock Remaster Studio, Nightdive, Is Turning Its Attention To Another PC Classic
This is exciting. In my opinion these deserve to be preserved more than a lot of games that already have been. Fingers crossed they do a good job!
Re: "How Embarrassing" - Sega's Getting Some Serious Blowback For Using GenAI In Crazy Taxi: World Tour
YEAAAAH BRING ON THE GREY SLUDGE!!! THE MORE AMORPHOUS THE BETTER!!!
Re: "How Embarrassing" - Sega's Getting Some Serious Blowback For Using GenAI In Crazy Taxi: World Tour
@h3s Texturing is rarely not fun in my opinion.
Re: The Devs Behind Loco Motive Once Pitched A Red Dwarf Adventure Game, & It Looks Smeggin' Brilliant
I want this so much now. I was raised on Reeves and Mortimer, The Fast Show and Red Dwarf. I'd play anything based on Red Dwarf but a point and click adventure seems like a fantastic fit.
Re: Sonic The Hedgehog Comes To The ZX Spectrum Next - In An Unofficial Capacity, At Least
@Hexapus I have great appreciation for the audio and visuals, even the level design actually. I may have to look around in hope for a ROM hack that zooms out a little.
Re: Sonic The Hedgehog Comes To The ZX Spectrum Next - In An Unofficial Capacity, At Least
That's witchcraft!
I actually prefer the Master System Sonics. I wasn't a fan of the speed of the Mega Drive ones for how zoomed in they appeared, not enough reaction time for me. I may be remembering them poorly though as I got the Super Nintendo and only played Mega Drive round other peoples houses.
Re: "You Don't Need To Commit Piracy" - It's Now Possible To Dump N64 Carts Using Your Flash Cart
@Cronodoug The percentage of carts sold through online marketplaces that are counterfeit is generally pretty low. It's easy to get a refund if you've been mis-sold and most collectors are probably wise to them.
As time goes by I'm sure they'll be more common but for now it's pretty easy to get genuine carts. I've bought about 30 recently without falling for a single reproduction, I've seen them but there's usually several tells.
But obviously... if you don't have them you can't dump them.
Re: "You Don't Need To Commit Piracy" - It's Now Possible To Dump N64 Carts Using Your Flash Cart
@AtomB Isn't the difference whether or not it's done for profit? You can still pirate something that isn't produced.
Also I'd imagine Nintendo could argue they are still "sold" or at least actively monetised by them as some of the ROMs in question are part of their subscription service.
Re: "You Don't Need To Commit Piracy" - It's Now Possible To Dump N64 Carts Using Your Flash Cart
Other than the late 90s, I don't recall a more exciting time for the N64. With this, an array of console mods + accessories, Analogue 3D, and Pyrite64 I've been in my element. It feels like the N64's best years are still to come, especially because of Pyrite64.
Re: "That's The Magic Sauce" - GoldenEye Designer Explains Why It Feels So Good To Shoot Baddies In The N64 Classic
@WaveBoy You can choose not to apply any overclock, or use a lesser one that may not effect the intro. However once you feel the difference in gameplay it's hard to go back to stock. I usually skip the intro anyway, seen it thousands of times.
I didn't like the idea of the eject button on the M64, those old carts are already becoming progressively more brittle and pulling them out the normal way is so simple I do it entirely with one hand.
I just went for the black A3D, I'm more into the idea of something that harks back to the original design with subtle changes over the chunky toy look of the M64 but I get why some would be into it. I've only ever had the original style N64s (my OG PAL and an NTSC-J), never the Funtastic range so I don't have any attachment to colourful transparent models. I find the form and feel of the A3D to be very premium, the geometry and materials look exceptional in person and I actually find it more premium and appealling than my most modern console, the PS5.
If you're a fan of the N64 and you pick up a modern remake I've no doubt you'll enjoy it, it's nice to step back into a world of gaming before DLC and subscriptions.
Re: Review: Anbernic RG Rotate - The Most Charming Handheld I've Seen In Years
It does look really nice but my big old man hands can't cope with buttons so close to the bottom, I'd have claw hands in minutes.
Re: Thanks For The Memories! Analogue 3D Just Got Its Most Significant Update Yet
@-wc- I read comments from other users who had trouble saving their progress in Doom 64, I think it maybe requires a simultaneous button input, which if that's the case it may be that rather than c-left and c-right being independant true/false or 0/1 inputs, it may instead work as a single int value with -1 being c-left and 1 being c-right, in which case the two pressed together would output 0.
That's just a guess but I recall debugging an XBox 360 controller in Unity ages ago and the left and right triggers worked like that but as a single float.