@AussieMcBucket My mum didn't want me to have a Gameboy because she thought it would be anti-social (at this time we had a ZX Spectrum and SNES, so she wasn't anti-gaming). As soon as she tried Tetris she was all over it. It's not far off being the perfect game in my opinion.
Though anecdotally, I got my first PS3 for 10 quid and less impressively my WiiU for 100 quid off due to a pricing error that the store kindly honoured.
@Van_Helsing Fair enough, though that would surely mean no principles or opinions can be spoken of negatively? I'm just arguing semantics now... feel free to ignore me.
@PXAbstraction I presume it'd be an extra tricky administration to take to court and end up in a good place, they appear to react negatively to criticism at times.
Also if you observe what they've done to America's soft power around the world through their America first ideology I don't think they really see the value of the institutions and laws that keep America in a strong position in the long term.
My observations are that of a non-American and I'm certainly no political scientist, I don't live and breathe this stuff.
@Van_Helsing I'm not commenting on the main spirit of your comment but the text you copied & pasted there doesn't mention political comments, which I presume is important to your point as you mention it twice.
@YouPitchforkWaver You're putting out a lot of whataboutisms and calling anybody that shows disdain for generative AI in video game development as childish, lazy or of low IQ. There aren't many people on here (not sure if there are any) claiming all AI is bad.
Can anyone from the SEGA side of the console war comment on if this runs accurately? I briefly tried it on my cousin's Mega Drive but that was looooooong ago.
@Martin_H I apologise for saying "Have Fun!", I hadn't thought of it as passive aggressive, but upon reading it back I can see how you might read it that way.
It's genuinely something I say a lot in departure situations, often in circumstances that make no sense, like the other day when I said it to the postman, it's also the last thing I recall saying to my anaesthetist before failing to count down from ten before an operation last year.
@Martin_H #31 Baffled me as I didn't get the impression that he's sour. He's not acting like he personally was wronged. He seems disappointed that zero respect is being paid to the original versions.
#33 Made no sense to me as he was obviously an employee when he worked on the originals.
#37 I'm never up for conversation or debate? I comment and reply plenty. He criticises their use of AI and their dishonesty as to it's use. You consider accepting a wage to be selling out? At the end of the day even if he had owned th IP and sold it, he's still entitled to an opinion. You say he regrets his decisions made in the 90s... what? You are basing your conclusions on your own conclusions.
I hadn't thought out loud about this before but to me retro is everything up until 3D stopped looking quite as experimental. So N64, PS1 and Saturn would make the "retro" cut, but most stuff beyond maybe not, I'm being very general and simple though.
I'm glad it's fully decompiled, it sounds like a lot of work went into it.
Though the latter bit about someone wanting to rush out an AI assisted recomp to beat the slop makes no sense to me, it'll still be choc full of issues. It'll be released at the first point it's "playable" to plant their flag, how is that any different to all the other internet clout chasers? It's possible they're not in it for the likes but the quality of the port will be comparable.
@slider1983 When Doom first came out I don't think mouse was part of the default control setup. Me and my mates used to play just with keyboard until Quake came out.
Doom works well on controller, even with strafing set to the shoulder buttons.
I can't recall the order but the first day I ever played video games, was on my parent's Spectrum, I tried Atic Atac, PSSST and Manic Miner probably some others too, Horace Goes Skiing I think... Still haven't tried Knight Lore.
I hadn't heard of BitGlint, or their games, so cheers!
That looks awesome! I miss hearing the Spectrum sounds.
Still have my parent's rubber keyed 48K, I need to look into a non-tape based loader for it. Still got all the tapes but I imagine they'd disintegrate on use.
@Pennybags "I mean let’s say an unaided human developer came out with an 80% working core of a new system. Would your immediate reaction be that’s completely useless?"
Those are very different cases.
A human written version would be human readable and the developer would understand what they'd made in great detail. They'd be capable of continuing development and fixing bugs. Even if the project was continued by another developer they'd have a good chance of building on it as long as it was competently written and documented.
If it's AI generated there's a good chance they won't understand the output and won't be capable of fixing it themselves.
Comments 169
Re: Random: Hollywood Actor Tim Curry And The Mystery Of The Game Boy He Was "Furious" To Lose
@AussieMcBucket My mum didn't want me to have a Gameboy because she thought it would be anti-social (at this time we had a ZX Spectrum and SNES, so she wasn't anti-gaming). As soon as she tried Tetris she was all over it. It's not far off being the perfect game in my opinion.
Re: The $179.99 LEGO PlayStation Might Be The Closest We'll Get To A New Ape Escape
@Bu1ld0g I'm not making a serious point
Though anecdotally, I got my first PS3 for 10 quid and less impressively my WiiU for 100 quid off due to a pricing error that the store kindly honoured.
You may not have asked, but I shared anyway.
Re: The $179.99 LEGO PlayStation Might Be The Closest We'll Get To A New Ape Escape
@Bu1ld0g Ah but what day were they referring to? Was it new or pre-owned?
Pretty sure I got mine on sale back in the day.
Re: "A Pathetic And Shameful Moment In American History" - Trump Turns Human Suffering Into Retro Games To The Tune Of Sonic The Hedgehog
@Van_Helsing Fair enough, though that would surely mean no principles or opinions can be spoken of negatively? I'm just arguing semantics now... feel free to ignore me.
Re: "A Pathetic And Shameful Moment In American History" - Trump Turns Human Suffering Into Retro Games To The Tune Of Sonic The Hedgehog
@PXAbstraction I presume it'd be an extra tricky administration to take to court and end up in a good place, they appear to react negatively to criticism at times.
Also if you observe what they've done to America's soft power around the world through their America first ideology I don't think they really see the value of the institutions and laws that keep America in a strong position in the long term.
My observations are that of a non-American and I'm certainly no political scientist, I don't live and breathe this stuff.
Re: "A Pathetic And Shameful Moment In American History" - Trump Turns Human Suffering Into Retro Games To The Tune Of Sonic The Hedgehog
@Van_Helsing I'm not commenting on the main spirit of your comment but the text you copied & pasted there doesn't mention political comments, which I presume is important to your point as you mention it twice.
Re: "We Understand The Concerns The Community Has" - BBG Entertainment Admits It Used GenAI In Manic Miner Trailer
@YouPitchforkWaver Sorry... No extremists in either camp can join.
Re: "We Understand The Concerns The Community Has" - BBG Entertainment Admits It Used GenAI In Manic Miner Trailer
@YouPitchforkWaver But what about what about? That's the real issue!
Re: "A Pathetic And Shameful Moment In American History" - Trump Turns Human Suffering Into Retro Games To The Tune Of Sonic The Hedgehog
@BLAZINOAH It's not quite the same thing really and it's pretty poor taste when it's done by the government.
Re: "A Pathetic And Shameful Moment In American History" - Trump Turns Human Suffering Into Retro Games To The Tune Of Sonic The Hedgehog
Who'd have thought electing a melting brain surrounded by boot licking amateur humans could go so wrong?
Re: This Tiny Game Boy Clone Plays Physical Cartridges
If that's comfortable for adult sized hands then that's of interest to me.
Re: "We Understand The Concerns The Community Has" - BBG Entertainment Admits It Used GenAI In Manic Miner Trailer
@YouPitchforkWaver You're putting out a lot of whataboutisms and calling anybody that shows disdain for generative AI in video game development as childish, lazy or of low IQ. There aren't many people on here (not sure if there are any) claiming all AI is bad.
Re: Random: Hollywood Actor Tim Curry And The Mystery Of The Game Boy He Was "Furious" To Lose
@JackGYarwood My guess would be that she simply conveyed her interpretation of the question without the image (possibly just described it).
Re: Random: Hollywood Actor Tim Curry And The Mystery Of The Game Boy He Was "Furious" To Lose
I can understand if someone just played Tetris for a while many years previously forgetting they'd played video games or not considering it as gaming.
I know people who consider themselves non-gamers who I know have had passing interests in one or two highly accessible games.
Re: Be Honest, Did You Know About This Mushroom-Saving Super Mario Bros. Trick?
I audibly expressed an expletive upon seeing that.
Re: Hands On: The Evercade Nexus Feels Like A True Evolution Thanks To A Great Display And Dual Analogue
Sounds awesome, this will be my entry point to the Evercade ecosystem.
Re: Here's Something Odd - Sega's Mega Drive / Genesis Beat 'Em Up 'Comix Zone' Running On The N64
Can anyone from the SEGA side of the console war comment on if this runs accurately? I briefly tried it on my cousin's Mega Drive but that was looooooong ago.
Re: Joe & Mac Retro Collection Brings Three "Stone Age" SNES Games To Modern Consoles This October
I never played any of these as a kid, seeing it has co-op I wish I had.
I wonder if they come with any sort of CRT filters.
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
@Martin_H I apologise for saying "Have Fun!", I hadn't thought of it as passive aggressive, but upon reading it back I can see how you might read it that way.
It's genuinely something I say a lot in departure situations, often in circumstances that make no sense, like the other day when I said it to the postman, it's also the last thing I recall saying to my anaesthetist before failing to count down from ten before an operation last year.
It's habitual at this point.
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
@Martin_H This is like pulling teeth... I've just done that.
I've no idea what time is where you are but it's 3am here.
Have fun!
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
@Martin_H
#31 Baffled me as I didn't get the impression that he's sour. He's not acting like he personally was wronged. He seems disappointed that zero respect is being paid to the original versions.
#33 Made no sense to me as he was obviously an employee when he worked on the originals.
#37 I'm never up for conversation or debate? I comment and reply plenty. He criticises their use of AI and their dishonesty as to it's use. You consider accepting a wage to be selling out? At the end of the day even if he had owned th IP and sold it, he's still entitled to an opinion. You say he regrets his decisions made in the 90s... what? You are basing your conclusions on your own conclusions.
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
@Martin_H Nah, it's better this way thanks.
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
@Martin_H You've lost me.
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
@Martin_H Strange way of parsing his perspective, especially as he's hardly lacking in the career department.
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
@axelhander
*takes out clipboard and begins to write
"The lips flapped but a muffled voice came from their seat."
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
@axelhander How is this fearmongering?
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
"I hope they choke on an AI-generated fishbone."
That is an incredibly funny sign-off and a stella example of genuine human creativity!
Re: "It Feels Like I've Left Something Behind For Her, Forever" - The Untold Secret Behind The Creator Of A ZX Spectrum Classic
I'd not heard of this one, I'll have to check it out.
I love gestures like the one he made with his wife's name.
Re: Manic Miner Is Back, But The Trailer Has The Suspicous Stink Of GenAI
@Andee Too many pixels too, a man could drown in them.
Re: Manic Miner Is Back, But The Trailer Has The Suspicous Stink Of GenAI
If this is true then it's crazy lazy.
It wouldn't take long for an actual artist to re-create 20 single screen levels with loads of repeated assets and then a single main menu screen.
What a stain on a legendary game, one of the greatest examples of human creativity in the first British indie boom.
Re: "I've Never Been One To Play It Safe" - Segagaga Director Goes All-In On GenAI On His Latest Project
Oof... bit of a face plant.
Though I'd have thought a "real game developer" would be able to attract a few colleagues to work with.
Being from the industry he should be accutely aware that many developers are currently looking for work, probably knows quite a few personally.
Re: "I Don't Think I'll Collect Another Thing Again" - Prized NES Collection Of Over 860+ NES Games Stolen In Heartbreaking Robbery
That's gotta be awful. Thieving f-ing scum.
Re: N64 Racer 'Extreme-G' Just Got An Unofficial PC Port With Increased Frame Rates & So Much More
@heligo I used to feel like you had to pretty much study the tracks to cope with the turns (the tubular track sections helped).
I'd say the twitchy controls suited the game when you're avoiding attacks.
It was a lot of fun in multiplayer too.
Re: Popular Retro Gaming Variety Show, Game Center CX, Lifts Ban On PS3 & Nintendo Wii Games
In my head Wii is closer to retro than PS3.
I hadn't thought out loud about this before but to me retro is everything up until 3D stopped looking quite as experimental. So N64, PS1 and Saturn would make the "retro" cut, but most stuff beyond maybe not, I'm being very general and simple though.
Re: N64 Racer 'Extreme-G' Just Got An Unofficial PC Port With Increased Frame Rates & So Much More
Looks incredible, well done SonicDcer!
Re: "The Best Official Versions" - New Banjo-Kazooie Deep Dive Shows Just How Sharp It Looks On The New Evercade Nexus
Busy on the 2nd one on A3D at the moment. The Evercade version looks excellent. Will definitely pick it up!
Re: Try To Act Surprised, But It Looks Like That Zelda: BotW 3DS 'Demake' Was Vibe-Coded
@Zeebor15 Are you an android sent back in time to correctly point the finger at AI slop the day before that fact is discovered?
Re: After 9 Years Of Work, GoldenEye 007 N64 Is Now 100% Decompiled
@Graslu Fair enough. I'd just forgo the poison part and wait personally. Good luck with it though!
Re: After 9 Years Of Work, GoldenEye 007 N64 Is Now 100% Decompiled
I'm glad it's fully decompiled, it sounds like a lot of work went into it.
Though the latter bit about someone wanting to rush out an AI assisted recomp to beat the slop makes no sense to me, it'll still be choc full of issues. It'll be released at the first point it's "playable" to plant their flag, how is that any different to all the other internet clout chasers? It's possible they're not in it for the likes but the quality of the port will be comparable.
Re: Evercade DOOM Collection + Evercade Nexus DOOM Edition Officially Announced
@Martin_H Yes, it wasn't the default.
Re: Evercade DOOM Collection + Evercade Nexus DOOM Edition Officially Announced
@slider1983 When Doom first came out I don't think mouse was part of the default control setup. Me and my mates used to play just with keyboard until Quake came out.
Doom works well on controller, even with strafing set to the shoulder buttons.
Re: Fans of Knight Lore & Atic Atac, Take Note! This Ultimate Play The Game / Rare Tribute Is Getting A Playdate Exclusive Spin-Off
That trap door transition is super satisfying!
I can't recall the order but the first day I ever played video games, was on my parent's Spectrum, I tried Atic Atac, PSSST and Manic Miner probably some others too, Horace Goes Skiing I think... Still haven't tried Knight Lore.
I hadn't heard of BitGlint, or their games, so cheers!
Re: The ZX Spectrum Just Got A Colourful Pac-Man Style Game That You Can Play Right Now For Free
That looks awesome! I miss hearing the Spectrum sounds.
Still have my parent's rubber keyed 48K, I need to look into a non-tape based loader for it. Still got all the tapes but I imagine they'd disintegrate on use.
Re: Here's Why LucasArts Couldn't Call Their Game Star Wars Episode 1: Podracer
My neighbour had POD. We quite enjoyed messing around on it, the vehicles seemed very weighty, which suited the vehicle designs I thought.
Re: "The Most Gorgeous Game Boy Emulation I've Ever Seen" - Brick Boy Goes The Extra Mile To Copy The Console's Nostalgic Display
Is it essentially a filter built into a fork of an existing emulator? Or something else?
Re: A New N64 EverDrive Flash Cart Has Been Released With A Dedicated 64DD Core
@RupeeClock Summercart supports 64DD already, though I have yet to try the feature out.
Re: "You Might As Well Play On A Raspberry Pi" - The World Of MiSTer FPGA Remains Divided Over "AI Slop" Cores
@aikon82 That seems like a good idea.
Does the UpdateAll function actually install all, rather than just updating what you've got installed?
Re: "You Might As Well Play On A Raspberry Pi" - The World Of MiSTer FPGA Remains Divided Over "AI Slop" Cores
@Pennybags "I mean let’s say an unaided human developer came out with an 80% working core of a new system. Would your immediate reaction be that’s completely useless?"
Those are very different cases.
A human written version would be human readable and the developer would understand what they'd made in great detail. They'd be capable of continuing development and fixing bugs. Even if the project was continued by another developer they'd have a good chance of building on it as long as it was competently written and documented.
If it's AI generated there's a good chance they won't understand the output and won't be capable of fixing it themselves.
Re: Evercade DOOM Collection Leaks Ahead Of Full Announcement
Nice! I've not picked up anything Evercade yet but I'm thinking of starting with the Nexus. This and the Rare stuff will likely be where I start.
Re: "You Might As Well Play On A Raspberry Pi" - The World Of MiSTer FPGA Remains Divided Over "AI Slop" Cores
@Thad Oh dear...