Comments 60

Re: Want To Learn Japanese? Retro Games Are Your Friend

Oldretrogamer

That was an excellent read, thank you!

I spent my first student loan on an import Super Famicom and I only ever got as far as being able to recognise Start and Option on the menu in Katakana…didn’t stop me from completing Zelda fully in Japanese but I should have spent time to learn what was actually going on!

Re: Hands On: The Activision Super Pocket Is Bursting With Games, But I Feel Like I'm Not The Target Audience

Oldretrogamer

@Damo while I totally understand your perspective, you’re not really reviewing the device, just how it aligns with whether it works for you, as an Evercade cartridge owner.

I think you could have pointed out whether Space Shuttle works or is basically unplayable on the small device, for example. And does Decathlon work with the dpad compared to waggling the 2600 joystick or does it negatively impact the experience?

Re: Hands On: The Activision Super Pocket Is Bursting With Games, But I Feel Like I'm Not The Target Audience

Oldretrogamer

@h3s just my opinion, yet they’re perfectly playable. The Taito Pocket was my introduction to Evercade and the majority of the games on there work perfectly fine.

Since then, I’ve purchased lots more carts and a VS to play on my monitor but I still use the Pocket for many games (I finished Tomb Raider 1 on it without any major difficulties and it’s great for the Llamasoft collection).

Re: CeX Is Revisiting Its 'Retro-Only' Store Concept And Returning To The World Of Imports, According To New Rumour

Oldretrogamer

@Kurokage yes, but only if you reach certain thresholds set by the UK Government, it’s not eBay wanting your NI number for just a few sales.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/account/regulatory/sales-reporting/uk-digital-sales-reporting?id=5454

The UK Digital Sales Tax means they need to report to HMRC if you sell more than 30 items, or over around £1700, in one year.

So selling a few things isn’t going to ask you for your NI number. I’ve sold a heck of a lot on eBay over the years (including recently) and I’ve never been asked for my NI number.

And even reaching those thresholds doesn’t mean you have to pay tax to HMRC if it’s just personal items you’re selling.

Re: Review: The Pico GX Makes One Of Console Gaming's Most Infamous Flops Infinitely More Appealing

Oldretrogamer

Thanks for this review, it’s a definite purchase for me!

I chose my GX4000 over spending the money on a NES, and I still don’t regret it. Burnin’ Rubber is a brilliant racing game, bundled with the console, and Pang, Navy SEALS and Switchblade are excellent games which didn’t come out on as CPC versions (even if Navy SEALS is too hard!).

I’ve emulated GX4000 games I didn’t own using RVM but much prefer playing on original hardware so this will be great

What’s wrong with the console’s SCART output though? I’ve got it connected to a Commodore 1084 monitor and I think it looks great!

Re: The Making Of: Star Wars Episode 1 Racer - "Maybe We Can't Make A Great Racing Game, But We Can Make An Excellent Toy"

Oldretrogamer

What a fantastic interview, thanks for publishing this!

One thing, when Jon Knoles mentions “Mark K. Hutchinson”, I think he means Mark Haigh-Hutchinson (a miracle worker who managed to get Paperboy on the Amstead CPC to have full-screen diagonal scrolling) who sadly passed away too young. He worked on the first three Metroid Prime games too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Haigh-Hutchinson

Re: "Thanks For Sharing, But I Do Not Support GenAI" - Dev Behind Sonic And The Black Knight Recomp Corrects "AI Slop" Website

Oldretrogamer

@slider1983 of course human-written articles can be biased, but if you know the writer’s work you can factor that into how you read their take on whatever it is.

Back in the day, I got to know what styles of games the writers on, for example, Your Sinclair liked so would know that if a certain writer liked a game then I probably would too. And that continues today where I know that if Mark Kermode likes a film there’s a good chance I will too.

But with AI I’ve no idea where or who it’s scraping its thoughts from, or if it’s even hallucinating.

I’m sad enough to argue with Google AI when I notice that it’s brought up a load of crap in response to my (non-AI focussed) search and it’s not surprising how often it replies with “You’re absolutely right, I was confusing X with Y!” 🤦

Re: "Thanks For Sharing, But I Do Not Support GenAI" - Dev Behind Sonic And The Black Knight Recomp Corrects "AI Slop" Website

Oldretrogamer

@slider1983 TE articles are written by humans who care about her words they’re using.

AI-written articles care about what they’ve scraped off other websites and write with no actual human thought about what they like.

That’s the huge difference. There’s no pros to listening to a website scraper that manages to sound vaguely human vs an actual human who has played a game.

Re: Game Changer: Jikkyō J. League: Perfect Striker / ISS 64 - Turning Japanese

Oldretrogamer

I hadn’t bought a football game since Sensi on the PC, but decided to get this for my Japanese N64 after reading how good it was. And boy, was it great! Controls were excellent, using the buttons on the N64 pad really well, and as you say the Japanese commentary describing the play was just sublime (conna kicku desu! Thru pass! Goal, goal, perfecto goal!). Now I’m going to have to dig my cart out and give it a go this week…

Re: "Everything In The Final Product Is Going To Be Original" - Sega Addresses GenAI Use In Crazy Taxi: World Tour

Oldretrogamer

So that update completely contradicts what the original statement said. Before, they said gen AI would be used for background assets which would be reviewed by the team. Now they’re saying everythjjgninnthe final game will be original.

In which case, what’s the point of wasting time using AI for graphics which will be completely redone after “review”, rather than just letting artists be creative from the beginning?

I know some will say AI can be used for inspiration but frankly if you’re a game artist and can’t come up with decent background art for a city without getting a machine to throw ideas at you, maybe it’s not the right role for you.

Re: Evercade's Next Indie Heroes Collection Announced, With A Shareware Twist

Oldretrogamer

I mean, I get what they’re saying, but it’s not really a shareware twist! It’s what they’ve done with the previous Indie Heroes collections, releasing each game for free for a month (or longer if you don’t update the console) then replacing it with another game from the upcoming cart.

Although I guess it’s the first time they’ve not included the full game as the monthly freebie. So ok, maybe it is more like shareware then haha

Re: Review: The Llamasoft Collection (Evercade) - A Fascinating Dive Into Jeff Minter's Early Career

Oldretrogamer

Great review of a great collection, and I don’t even mind having the Vic-20 and C64 versions of some of the games as they do play differently.

But there’s a fatal bug in Sheep in Space just now where, when you get a hiscore, it asks you to type in your name but you can’t bring up an onscreen keyboard, and if you press Y to skip a few letters the game freezes, so you can’t get a hiscore and continue to play the game. Evercade say they’re looking into it.

  • Page :
  • 1