Comments 34

Re: The Master System's Popularity In The UK Is Still Surprising Some People

MegaJ

Every time I hear about this, from my friends or otherwise, I realise how much I lucked out to get a secondhand NES and games at a town fete in the 90s in the UK, it must have been pretty rare, and I adored that thing, even getting it well after the NES, and even during the early N64 days. I was retro right from the start somehow- I insisted on getting an original Game Boy as a kid instead of a Game Boy Pocket that literally just came out at the time, just because I thought it looked way cooler. Glad I didn't miss out on that nostalgic greenscale screen I look back on fondly now. I still want to get a Pocket, though! They're really cool too!

That's another thing- I've always suspected that the Game Boy did particularly well in the UK, everyone seemed to have one. Whenever anyone talked about a Mario game in generic terms here, they would tend to call it a 'Super Mario Land' game, which kinda indicates how popular the Game Boy was over the Nintendo home consoles back then. I did see the occasional SNES, too- but the Mega Drive (Genesis to Americans- ours was called the Mega Drive, like in Japan) was hugely popular- and Sonic with it. Streets of Rage, too! Man, I love Streets of Rage.

Re: "If A Computer Does All The Hard Work, What's The Point?" - Dev Behind Sega Emulator BlastEm Blasts "AI Slop" Projects

MegaJ

"If a computer does all the hard work, what's the point?"
How can you say this with a straight face as a videogame developer? You make VIDEOGAMES. The entire appeal is the computer doing most of the work. You would just stick to tabletop games if you really believed this. Why use email when you can still write letters?
It's also an inherently privileged and ableist stance to take- AI is democratising software development (and a lot of other aspects of life) and making it far more accessible for people who otherwise genuinely couldn't.
If you code everything by hand- great! Good for you! That's your choice, and I respect it. What I DON'T respect is your disrespect for other ways of doing things.
It's a bit like a professional basketball player turning around to a wheelchair basketball player and saying "What's the point if you don't use your legs?"

Re: Evercade Banjo-Kazooie Cart Will Include Unreleased Game Mode Bottles' Revenge

MegaJ

This is really cool- fast travel ruins things a bit, though- exploring these games is what most of the gameplay is, and they already have shortcuts and warps built into the level design. Adding fast travel onto that is overkill, and doesn't help with the modern zero attention span tic-tok crowd (and I say this as someone with ADHD).
The other stuff is great and deserves applause, it just kinda feels like that part gives you... less game. Getting deeper into enemy territory bit by bit in Grunty's Lair is a huge part of the game's appeal, and new players not getting the chance to soak that feeling in makes me kinda sad.

Re: Here's The First Trailer For Golden Axe's Animated TV Series, From The Creator Of Star Trek: The Lower Decks

MegaJ

This looks decent, honestly. I think being too serious about it would be weird- it would be hard to make riding around on that big bird beast and kicking gnomes for magic blue jars NOT silly.
And this is by one of the creators of American Dad- which is honestly one of the best animated comedies out there, once it got going.
And from second ONE of the trailer they show the eagle, and tons of deep-cut parts of the game, so they clearly have a love of the source material.

I think people need to cool their jets and give this more of a chance- I have a feeling it could surprise people.

Then again, so much of nerd culture seems so intent on everything being exactly the same, and being miserable about everything, so I also wouldn't hold my breath on fan response.

Re: "I Don't Understand This Hate Towards Arcade Game Design" - Shinobi: Art Of Vengeance Dev Comments Trigger Fresh Debate

MegaJ

Streets of Rage 4 is one of the best games of all time in my book- I've played that more than I have any other modern era game for a long time, precisely BECAUSE it kept true to the arcade-style game design philosophy- while also modernising it wonderfully without betraying what made the series so fantastic in the first place. So it's a bummer to hear them have this attitude now.
Please, Lizard Cube- more of THAT! I'm begging you! You did such a phenominal job with that game- don't discard the spirit of a series in gameplay or anything else- embrace it fully like you did there!

Re: Talking Point: "We, The Consumers, Need To Vote With Our Wallets" - The Moral Dilemma Of Supporting SNK In 2026

MegaJ

I know I've been critical of your anti-AI articles on here in the comments, but I really want to say how much I appreciate this one- this is important for keeping people informed, and even acknowledging the blurry and often unavoidably hypocrisy-laden tightrope walk you have to walk, I really respect.
Anyway, much appreciated. The amount of people here who somehow think politics doesn't affect them is staggering, and honestly worrying. (And sadly goes a long way to explaining how we are where we are, geopolitically)

Re: Talking Point: "We, The Consumers, Need To Vote With Our Wallets" - The Moral Dilemma Of Supporting SNK In 2026

MegaJ

@Sketcz Mate- if I click to ignore you on your comment, a box comes up saying "Sorry, you can't ignore members of staff." and it physically doesn't let me. You are literally protected from being "cancelled" here- even from a single personal account like mine who just didn't feel like looking at your comments. The irony is exquisite. It's rich spouting your cancel culture stuff from that ivory tower.

Re: Playdate Has Had Enough Of All This Generative AI Nonsense

MegaJ

That's disappointing. Creativity and tool use shouldn't be policed. It should be up to the developer how they choose to develop their game, and up to the audience whether they want to play it or not- a middleman shouldn't be butting in and policing that.

My biggest issue is that this paints a target on the back of developers either way now- this sort of witch hunting should not be encouraged, it's already caused creators a lot of issues elsewhere.
It's getting to a point where this sort of disclaimer is starting to sound along the lines of "No internet was used in the creation of this product", which is absurd.

Re: Hands On: 8BitDo 64 Bluetooth Controller – Now With Extra N64 Energy

MegaJ

Man, I do not understand why every modern third party N64 controller tries so hard NOT to be an N64 controller. It's basically the same as any other modern controller. I really don't see the point- why not just use any other modern controller instead, if you're not even going to embrace what made it unique and fun? I'll stick with the Switch Online version of a new N64 controller then, thanks.

It just... bums me out when any type of character or texture or anything interesting gets completely flattened in the name of 'modernising' something whose whole appeal is being not modern. It's like... imagine you took the very first Godzilla movie (not a sequel or a more modern one), and kept it exactly the same except for replacing all the visuals of Godzilla himself with modern CGI- what would be the point, at that point? It becomes a totally different thing.

Re: Xbox 360, PS3 And Nintendo Wii U Are "Officially Retro", Says GameStop

MegaJ

glances at the comment section
"Kids, could you lighten up a little?"

Relax, we all have our different concepts of "retro". They can coexist. It's a subjective term by definition- it wouldn't be if it were like the word 'decade'- which means a specific amount of time- 'retro' does not. 'Cancel culture' is a right-wing dogwhistle- please do not fall for that propaganda- they are not fighting for your free speech- fascists never are- they invented censorship. Remember that. This is also a reminder to not unintentionally do the work of censorship for them, either.

Also, Gamestop is absolutely not able to make this definition of retro ""official"", as they put it.

Use your own minds, enjoy your own lives.
You're not old- you're probably not even 40 yet (which is also not old). Don't count out the majority of your life for a very new, and very targeted set of definitions- and for what other people think in general. Remember that business has an incentive to make things feel throwaway, and to make you feel older than you are.

You can relax.
We good?

Re: "If That Bothers You, I Understand" - Android Devices Get A Nintendo StreetPass Successor, But Of Course There's A Catch

MegaJ

Man, people seriously need to learn to chill about AI. It breaks my heart that creative people making cool things like this in their spare time as a fun project for the community have to brace for such pointless venom from random people online like this, just because people are so scared of new technology.
This is a cool thing that's been made, and should be appreciated!

Re: "We'd Like To Warn You To Not Fall For The Trap" - New Android PS2 Emulator Accused Of Being "Vibe-Coded" Rip-Off

MegaJ

"Vibe-coding" is just coding. If they actively ripped off someone's work wholesale, then the criticism is fair enough (assuming it wasn't open source in the first place etc.) but this is just a form of coding otherwise.
AI witch hunts really don't help anyone. If there's bad actors doing bad things then that's one thing, and needs to be pointed out, but the way this article is worded it just comes across as 'ooohh scary AI was used for something' without a whole lot of elaboration on why it might be bad in this case- which it might well be. It frames it as AI being the problem by existing- instead of what they did which was specifically bad- that part is left vague, which isn't helpful. Feels like AI fearmongering clickbait without enough of those details.

Re: What Happens When An Arms Dealer Publishes Your Video Game?

MegaJ

The guy literally described himself as a radical zionist. The issue is as cut and dry as it gets- don't support self-proclaimed bigots- but ESPECIALLY don't support self-proclaimed bigots WHO LITERALLY HAVE NO PROBLEMS KILLING PEOPLE AND HAVE A SUCCESSFUL WEAPONS COMPANY DESIGNED TO DO SO.
The line here is so obvious- there is NO grey area here. Let's stop pretending there is- that's a disservice to anyone's intelligence.