This was one of the few games that didn't run on the ePSXe emulator, where only the title screen worked. Now it runs perfectly, and I only tested it on Afterplay a couple of months ago.
I would have bought an Xbox Series just for this game; in fact, I bought a 360 back in the day just for Perfect Dark Zero.
Anyway, it's been over 24 years since Rare left Nintendo, and to this day, we still haven't seen any positive results with any of the Stampers brothers' franchises.
If Microsoft decided to listen to its fans for once, the best thing they could do is return all those franchises to Nintendo... or at least form an alliance, giving them a franchise so Nintendo could finance it and the game would be released on a Nintendo console, while Microsoft takes... I don't know, maybe 25% of the profits, because they know they won't sell on their consoles (excuse me if I sound harsh, but when Microsoft gave the Banjo-Kazooie characters to Nintendo for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, all the Nintendo fans went crazy and the DLC was a success, while Nuts & Bolts didn't even make a ripple on the Xbox 360 and was a commercial disappointment).
I started with Castlevania III and was blown away by how good it was. I got all four endings, and that made me interested in finding the other two prequels. I think I got the SNES after that and bought Super Castlevania IV before getting Castlevania II, which, despite being cryptic, I still finished. Then I got the first one, and to this day I haven't been able to finish it, but I'm getting close.
As for the Game Boy, I first got Castlevania sealed for $15 on sale, and then I realized that it wasn't really worth that $15, but I was happy because it was a Castlevania game after all. When I got the second one, it was a million times better. I think I've heard people say that it's the Game Boy game with the best graphics ever made. I never got Legends. I saw it once and passed it up because I prioritized other games... and to this day I regret it.
Toki is long overdue for a sequel. Ironically, I have a couple of ideas I'd like to implement, but I'd prefer to apply them specifically to Toki, not a new franchise. Unfortunately, I don't know how to program, and my only laptop, the one I was learning on, died and never came back to life.
By the way, it's about time they remembered Cabal or Blood Bros. Those kinds of games fascinated me, and when I saw them in the arcades in my neighborhood, they were practically all I played. It's a shame Wild Guns never lived up to the intensity of those games.
@-wc- In my case, I bought it on sale on Steam and still decided to ask for a refund, even though I have ALL the Bubble Bobble games on all the Nintendo consoles they came out on, but I couldn't stand this one.
This game brings back a personal emotional memory for me, because a cousin had a Game Boy with this game and I was amazed to play it, but it was the music that impressed me, because it sounded so epic and stayed in my mind for a long time. Sadly, my cousin sold his Game Boy with all the games, and years later he passed away from cancer. Among the memories I have of him are the music from Super Mario Land and Kid Icarus. A few years ago, I bought both games just to remember him every time I played them, and I see that now I'll have a new opportunity to do so, but in full color.
I believe that the history of humanity has far too many real heroes to glorify a fictional character; in a thousand years it will have the same effect as the character of Robin Hood, people will believe that Lara Croft really existed.
I'll be honest, I'm really surprised by how many people went crazy over this announcement because I thought I was the only one, but I see I'm not. Yesterday I watched the live stream City Connection did, and it was insane to see the huge number of people from all over the world commenting in the chat. It made me realize that Shatterhand, despite being over 35 years old, is still relevant; it still has a fanbase that loves it.
Guys, where have you been all this time?
The thing is, a couple of years ago I wrote a detailed analysis (in Spanish) where I talked about the controversy surrounding Solbrain, its developers, the game's story, an in-depth analysis (which ended up being more of a guide), some speculation about who owned the rights, and my personal opinion about its possible future. I'd post the link to the page, but I'm afraid the moderators might consider it spam or something and suspend me.
"Please delete Microsoft and Sony from your lives, install Linux, boycott Switch Game Key Cards and buy Nintendo Switch 2 titles that still come with the full game on the cartridge. Your dollar is the only thing that counts in our late stage capitalist hellscape."
Sir, you are my idol, if I could I would even tattoo those words on my chest.
This news caught me completely by surprise as soon as I turned on my computer at work. It filled me with excitement, albeit briefly, because I was expecting a Shatterhand remake (sometimes I'm surprised when I find out it's something everyone's waiting for, even though it's been 35 years). Now that I see this remake, I'm amazed, but at the same time I wonder why Natsume didn't release a sequel sooner or explore this idea further, since shoot 'em ups are such a beloved genre in Japan, and the concept of controlling soldiers in Contra-style rocket belts sounded quite innovative.
Regarding the name, I prefer S.C.A.T. to Final Mission. I don't understand why the author of the news article said the change was awful; perhaps it's because I've grown accustomed to the name.
Frankly, I expected this title to be announced some time after Shatterhand, but I won't hesitate to buy a physical copy as soon as I can (they'll probably send me a Steam key for review). I'm happy to know that the Tengo Project veterans are still with us.
@PKDuckman As far as I understand, City Connection no longer owns the rights to Shatterhand, and in 2009 these rights passed to Natsume (or Winning Entertainment, whatever they're called now; I'm still confused about that).
I already own this same compilation on a SNES cartridge that was officially released a few years ago, and I don't see the need to release it on consoles.
Finally, make the offer more enticing and include the two original arcade games, and if possible, include the failed remake, Returns, that came out a couple of years ago.
But please, ANNOUNCE A NEW GAME.
With Snow Bros., at least you took a risk and tried new approaches, like converting the characters to 3D, before just adapting the original arcade games.
@PKDuckman But the first Bubble Bobble has already had about four remakes, and in my opinion, the best was the WiiWare Plus! version. I only played the second one on the NES, and it has nothing to do with Symphony. I haven't played Bubble Memories yet, and Bubble Bobble 4 Friends... was so bad and disappointing that I requested a refund on Steam. Personally, I don't see the need for a compilation.
@PKDuckman I know, but the point of my comment is that if you're going to adapt an inferior port of a game that's already available in its original version on the same console, then strive to go further, offer something more and add a couple of scenes, an achievement system, an unlockable, a museum, like Limited Run Games did with the NES game Jaws, which, even though it's a terrible game, what makes it seem new is that they messed with the source code and added more things.
I heard this news yesterday and frankly, it threw me for a loop. It's a completely unnecessary port when the original arcade version already exists on Switch. Just as unnecessary as porting The Legend of Cage for NES, when the arcade version, which is far superior, is already available. If they really wanted to surprise me with a new Bubble Bobble game, they should have ported Bubble Bobble Plus! for WiiWare, which is a remake of the original, uses polygonal graphics, and even added several difficulty levels, including a four-player mode. And Hamster chose to upload the poor NES port instead? (I even own the original cartridge for that one.)
Ocean wasn't my favorite developer, but they made the occasional good game based on my favorite movies, and it hurt when they were acquired by Infogrames (a company that dedicated itself to absorbing companies and wasting their potential). I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to come back to life, this time with a proposal for their own franchises so they don't depend on anyone. Acclaim is trying to do that.
Atari holds the world record for bankruptcies due to all the terrible management it's done, and somehow some naive soul always seems to come along and try to salvage its reputation (personally, I'd salvage the names of Jaleco, Technos, or Data East if I had the money, but never Atari's). And every time they theoretically start doing things right, they end up screwing it up when they try to "reinvent" or "improve" themselves.
The only way Atari could surprise me would be through Night Dive Studios, but Atari alone is in no way capable of surprising me with the announcement of a console nobody asked for, or with unnecessary remakes of Pong, Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Yars, Breakout, etc. I wouldn't even be surprised if they announced adaptations of the games they bought from Ubisoft, like Child of Eden, Cold Fear, Grow Home, Grow Up, and I Am Alive.
I refused to buy Bomberman Collection because I have all the ROMs translated into my language and I can already play them on my phone using Afterplay, that's why I decided not to have it on my Switch 2.
How curious, yesterday I visited several video game stores and found that game still in excellent condition, but I didn't buy it. Now I'm seriously considering going back.
Comments 28
Re: "Sony Wasn't Quite Allowing It, But We Made It Happen" - Vib-Ribbon Creative Team Reflect On Their Sublime Musical Marvel
This was one of the few games that didn't run on the ePSXe emulator, where only the title screen worked. Now it runs perfectly, and I only tested it on Afterplay a couple of months ago.
Re: New Footage From Xbox's Cancelled Perfect Dark Reboot Surfaces Online
@PopetheRev28 If Microsoft knew how to do their job, I wouldn't be here criticizing them.
And even the person who uploaded the Project Dreamland ROM named the file in a derogatory way, referring to two Microsoft executives.
Re: New Footage From Xbox's Cancelled Perfect Dark Reboot Surfaces Online
I would have bought an Xbox Series just for this game; in fact, I bought a 360 back in the day just for Perfect Dark Zero.
Anyway, it's been over 24 years since Rare left Nintendo, and to this day, we still haven't seen any positive results with any of the Stampers brothers' franchises.
If Microsoft decided to listen to its fans for once, the best thing they could do is return all those franchises to Nintendo... or at least form an alliance, giving them a franchise so Nintendo could finance it and the game would be released on a Nintendo console, while Microsoft takes... I don't know, maybe 25% of the profits, because they know they won't sell on their consoles (excuse me if I sound harsh, but when Microsoft gave the Banjo-Kazooie characters to Nintendo for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, all the Nintendo fans went crazy and the DLC was a success, while Nuts & Bolts didn't even make a ripple on the Xbox 360 and was a commercial disappointment).
Re: The Golf Game That Spawned One Of The Simpsons' Best Video Game Parodies Is Coming To Modern Consoles
Re: Game Changer: Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge - Where My Love For Konami's Legendary Series Began
I started with Castlevania III and was blown away by how good it was. I got all four endings, and that made me interested in finding the other two prequels. I think I got the SNES after that and bought Super Castlevania IV before getting Castlevania II, which, despite being cryptic, I still finished. Then I got the first one, and to this day I haven't been able to finish it, but I'm getting close.
As for the Game Boy, I first got Castlevania sealed for $15 on sale, and then I realized that it wasn't really worth that $15, but I was happy because it was a Castlevania game after all. When I got the second one, it was a million times better. I think I've heard people say that it's the Game Boy game with the best graphics ever made. I never got Legends. I saw it once and passed it up because I prioritized other games... and to this day I regret it.
Re: New Old Pixels Signs Deal With Microids To Bring 1989 Arcade Toki To Classic Platforms
Toki is long overdue for a sequel. Ironically, I have a couple of ideas I'd like to implement, but I'd prefer to apply them specifically to Toki, not a new franchise. Unfortunately, I don't know how to program, and my only laptop, the one I was learning on, died and never came back to life.
By the way, it's about time they remembered Cabal or Blood Bros. Those kinds of games fascinated me, and when I saw them in the arcades in my neighborhood, they were practically all I played. It's a shame Wild Guns never lived up to the intensity of those games.
Re: Bubble Bobble 4 Friends: The Baron Is Back! Is Getting A Physical Edition On Nintendo Switch 2
@-wc- In my case, I bought it on sale on Steam and still decided to ask for a refund, even though I have ALL the Bubble Bobble games on all the Nintendo consoles they came out on, but I couldn't stand this one.
Re: Bubble Bobble 4 Friends: The Baron Is Back! Is Getting A Physical Edition On Nintendo Switch 2
The worst Bubble Bobble game of all will be released physically on Switch 2.
Lord have mercy on us.
Re: Kid Icarus DX Brings Colour To The World Of Everyone's Favourite Game Boy Cherub
This game brings back a personal emotional memory for me, because a cousin had a Game Boy with this game and I was amazed to play it, but it was the music that impressed me, because it sounded so epic and stayed in my mind for a long time. Sadly, my cousin sold his Game Boy with all the games, and years later he passed away from cancer. Among the memories I have of him are the music from Super Mario Land and Kid Icarus. A few years ago, I bought both games just to remember him every time I played them, and I see that now I'll have a new opportunity to do so, but in full color.
Re: Lara Croft Is Coming Home: Campaign Raises £30K To Install Tomb Raider Statue In Derby
I believe that the history of humanity has far too many real heroes to glorify a fictional character; in a thousand years it will have the same effect as the character of Robin Hood, people will believe that Lara Croft really existed.
Re: Yuji Horii's Hugely Influential 1983 Adventure Game 'Portopia Serial Murder Case' Is Getting A Remake
As I understand it, this game is what influenced Hideo Kojima to enter the video game business.
@gmar I never played that game and I'd appreciate it if no one told me the ending.
Re: The NES Cult Classic 'Shatterhand' Is Punching Its Way To Switch Later This Month, With A Wealth Of Bonus Features
I'll be honest, I'm really surprised by how many people went crazy over this announcement because I thought I was the only one, but I see I'm not. Yesterday I watched the live stream City Connection did, and it was insane to see the huge number of people from all over the world commenting in the chat. It made me realize that Shatterhand, despite being over 35 years old, is still relevant; it still has a fanbase that loves it.
Guys, where have you been all this time?
The thing is, a couple of years ago I wrote a detailed analysis (in Spanish) where I talked about the controversy surrounding Solbrain, its developers, the game's story, an in-depth analysis (which ended up being more of a guide), some speculation about who owned the rights, and my personal opinion about its possible future. I'd post the link to the page, but I'm afraid the moderators might consider it spam or something and suspend me.
Re: "Let's Get The Last Beautiful Things Hiding On Our Hard Drives Out There" - Project Dream, Rare's Unreleased Banjo-Kazooie Predecessor, Leaks Online
"Please delete Microsoft and Sony from your lives, install Linux, boycott Switch Game Key Cards and buy Nintendo Switch 2 titles that still come with the full game on the cartridge. Your dollar is the only thing that counts in our late stage capitalist hellscape."
Sir, you are my idol, if I could I would even tattoo those words on my chest.
Re: It's Important That You Buy Your Cat This $60 Metal Gear Solid Cardboard Box Right Away
It's more cost-effective for me to make it myself (I have a storage room full of corrugated cardboard) or design and 3D print it.
Oh, I forgot I don't have any cats.
Re: "A Pathetic And Shameful Moment In American History" - Trump Turns Human Suffering Into Retro Games To The Tune Of Sonic The Hedgehog
@Bot_Bot_69 A creed can also be political, so my claim is entirely valid.
Re: "A Pathetic And Shameful Moment In American History" - Trump Turns Human Suffering Into Retro Games To The Tune Of Sonic The Hedgehog
Removed
Re: S.C.A.T. Is Back! Tengo Project Returns With A Remaster Of The NES Classic, Final Mission
This news caught me completely by surprise as soon as I turned on my computer at work. It filled me with excitement, albeit briefly, because I was expecting a Shatterhand remake (sometimes I'm surprised when I find out it's something everyone's waiting for, even though it's been 35 years).
Now that I see this remake, I'm amazed, but at the same time I wonder why Natsume didn't release a sequel sooner or explore this idea further, since shoot 'em ups are such a beloved genre in Japan, and the concept of controlling soldiers in Contra-style rocket belts sounded quite innovative.
Regarding the name, I prefer S.C.A.T. to Final Mission. I don't understand why the author of the news article said the change was awful; perhaps it's because I've grown accustomed to the name.
Frankly, I expected this title to be announced some time after Shatterhand, but I won't hesitate to buy a physical copy as soon as I can (they'll probably send me a Steam key for review). I'm happy to know that the Tengo Project veterans are still with us.
@PKDuckman As far as I understand, City Connection no longer owns the rights to Shatterhand, and in 2009 these rights passed to Natsume (or Winning Entertainment, whatever they're called now; I'm still confused about that).
Re: Joe & Mac Retro Collection Brings Three "Stone Age" SNES Games To Modern Consoles This October
I already own this same compilation on a SNES cartridge that was officially released a few years ago, and I don't see the need to release it on consoles.
Finally, make the offer more enticing and include the two original arcade games, and if possible, include the failed remake, Returns, that came out a couple of years ago.
But please, ANNOUNCE A NEW GAME.
With Snow Bros., at least you took a risk and tried new approaches, like converting the characters to 3D, before just adapting the original arcade games.
Re: Taito's NES Classic 'Bubble Bobble' Is Being Rereleased On PS5 & Switch 2 This Week, To Celebrate Bub & Bob's Birthday
@PKDuckman But the first Bubble Bobble has already had about four remakes, and in my opinion, the best was the WiiWare Plus! version.
I only played the second one on the NES, and it has nothing to do with Symphony. I haven't played Bubble Memories yet, and Bubble Bobble 4 Friends... was so bad and disappointing that I requested a refund on Steam. Personally, I don't see the need for a compilation.
Re: Peter Cullen, The Voice Of Optimus Prime And Mario, Has Died Aged 85
Sam Neill, Dolly Parton, Chuck Norris, Tim Curry, and now Peter Cullen.
This year and last have been very painful with all the losses we've suffered.
Re: Taito's NES Classic 'Bubble Bobble' Is Being Rereleased On PS5 & Switch 2 This Week, To Celebrate Bub & Bob's Birthday
@PKDuckman I know, but the point of my comment is that if you're going to adapt an inferior port of a game that's already available in its original version on the same console, then strive to go further, offer something more and add a couple of scenes, an achievement system, an unlockable, a museum, like Limited Run Games did with the NES game Jaws, which, even though it's a terrible game, what makes it seem new is that they messed with the source code and added more things.
Re: Taito's NES Classic 'Bubble Bobble' Is Being Rereleased On PS5 & Switch 2 This Week, To Celebrate Bub & Bob's Birthday
I heard this news yesterday and frankly, it threw me for a loop. It's a completely unnecessary port when the original arcade version already exists on Switch. Just as unnecessary as porting The Legend of Cage for NES, when the arcade version, which is far superior, is already available.
If they really wanted to surprise me with a new Bubble Bobble game, they should have ported Bubble Bobble Plus! for WiiWare, which is a remake of the original, uses polygonal graphics, and even added several difficulty levels, including a four-player mode.
And Hamster chose to upload the poor NES port instead? (I even own the original cartridge for that one.)
Re: Mr. Nutz Is The Next 16-Bit Character To Get A Physical Resurrection On SNES And Genesis
Ocean wasn't my favorite developer, but they made the occasional good game based on my favorite movies, and it hurt when they were acquired by Infogrames (a company that dedicated itself to absorbing companies and wasting their potential). I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to come back to life, this time with a proposal for their own franchises so they don't depend on anyone. Acclaim is trying to do that.
Re: "One Of The Biggest Announcements We've Ever Made" - Atari Says Something "Big" Is Coming
Atari holds the world record for bankruptcies due to all the terrible management it's done, and somehow some naive soul always seems to come along and try to salvage its reputation (personally, I'd salvage the names of Jaleco, Technos, or Data East if I had the money, but never Atari's). And every time they theoretically start doing things right, they end up screwing it up when they try to "reinvent" or "improve" themselves.
The only way Atari could surprise me would be through Night Dive Studios, but Atari alone is in no way capable of surprising me with the announcement of a console nobody asked for, or with unnecessary remakes of Pong, Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Yars, Breakout, etc. I wouldn't even be surprised if they announced adaptations of the games they bought from Ubisoft, like Child of Eden, Cold Fear, Grow Home, Grow Up, and I Am Alive.
Re: Two Classic Macintosh Platforming Games Just Got A Surprise Steam Release, With An All-New Sequel Being Teased
There's a strategy game on Steam that uses this same type of graphics, but I can't remember the name.
Re: Japan-Exclusive Super Famicom Title 'Super Bomberman: Panic Bomber W' Makes Its Way West, 31 Years After Its Original Launch
I refused to buy Bomberman Collection because I have all the ROMs translated into my language and I can already play them on my phone using Afterplay, that's why I decided not to have it on my Switch 2.
Re: Exclusive: First Samurai Is Getting A Physical Re-Release On The SNES
How curious, yesterday I visited several video game stores and found that game still in excellent condition, but I didn't buy it. Now I'm seriously considering going back.
Re: An Obscure Irem Beat 'Em Up Is Getting A Revival Later This Year, Courtesy Of City Connection
@h3s City Connection is the same as Jaleco but with a different name.