Just the other week I wrote a short piece about Rare, their journey to becoming Nintendo affiliated developers, and the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy for my Japanese students.
I haven't been sure if they'd have any interest in it, but this article gives me some hope that they might when I give it to them.
I remember this being reported in the magazines in this original guise, then it disappeared for a long time, to reemerge as a game with one of the best multiplayers ever.
Comments 42
Re: "Ant & Dec Annoyed The Absolute S**t Out Of Me" - The Complete History Of The Nintendo UK Hotline
@JackGYarwood
The thought of Bob Monkhouse playing Nintendo makes me so happy I can barely contain myself.
Re: "Ant & Dec Annoyed The Absolute S**t Out Of Me" - The Complete History Of The Nintendo UK Hotline
Bob Monkhouse?
I was not expecting that.
This is absolutely fantastic.
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
Wait, do these characters have legs or not?
Re: "I Hope They Choke On An AI-Generated Fishbone" - James Pond Creator On System 3's "Soulless" Legacy Collection
@Guru_Larry
There's a time and a plaice for everything.
Re: Manic Miner Is Back, But The Trailer Has The Suspicious Stink Of GenAI
I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff.
Do trailers really cost that much to make?
You're supposed to be putting your best foot forward, showing your wares.
AI for under the hood stuff that people aren't going to see makes much more senss to me.
Re: The Making Of: Star Fox - "We Taught Nintendo 3D Games And Left Them A Permanent Legacy"
@datamonkey
My comment is from 2023.
As it says on my comment.
Comment.
Re: The Best Mistake Nintendo Ever Made? Why 2DS Is The Perfect Embodiment Of Gunpei Yokoi's Core Principles
My favourite handheld,
I love it.
Re: The Making Of: The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, Capcom's SNES Classic
To the NSOmobile!
Re: Anniversary: Is Tetris Really 40 This Year?
I'd have to think twice Rodney.
Re: How Rik Mayall Helped Bring Anarchy To Nintendo UK
Is there anything that he couldn't do?
Re: CIBSunday: Nintendo Game Boy
@Damo
Your Gameboy is gone,
it's at the bottom of the ocean.
Re: CIBSunday: Nintendo Game Boy
in what way is it still going strong?
Re: Check Out Dreamblade, An Awesome 'Dreamcast Mini' Mod
be still my beating heart.
Re: Dreamcast, Sega's Final Console, Turns 25 Today
I feel old and sad.
Re: Playing The CeX Retro Lottery
Always found these shops a little soulless.
I'm not certain why.
Re: The Puzzling Legacy of Panel de Pon And Puzzle League
Give us Yoshi no PanePon.
Re: Rare Co-Founder "Always Intended" Banjo-Kazooie To "Grow" As A Franchise
like Earthworm Jim, had the potential to be one of the best trilogies ever. Such a shame.
Saying that, Grunty's Revenge is a little underrated and should be on NSO.
Re: The Making Of: Star Fox, Nintendo's First 3D Smash Hit
I swear this piece was done here before.
Re: Rare Co-Founder Celebrates TOTK Release By Posting Photo Of Rare Zelda 64 Prototype
didn't Forest of Illusion close down?
Re: Random: Japanese Comedians Travel Almost 6,000 Miles To Meet David Wise Without An Appointment
Just the other week I wrote a short piece about Rare, their journey to becoming Nintendo affiliated developers, and the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy for my Japanese students.
I haven't been sure if they'd have any interest in it, but this article gives me some hope that they might when I give it to them.
Re: Kirby's Dream Land 2 Gets The 'DX' Treatment
Really underrated game.
I love Dark Matter and Rick the Hamster.
Re: Rare Co-Founder Shows Conker 64, Fans Immediately Beg Him To Dump It
@Pho
I made a Total War Smash Bros. stage,
hooray for me!
Re: Rare Co-Founder Shows Conker 64, Fans Immediately Beg Him To Dump It
I remember this being reported in the magazines in this original guise, then it disappeared for a long time, to reemerge as a game with one of the best multiplayers ever.
Re: Not Used Your Wii U In A While? It Might Be Dead
it was dead on arrival, let's be honest.
Re: Poll: What's The Best Sega System Of All Time?
Dreamcast, obviously.
Re: Poll: Are Game Boy Games Still Worth Playing In 2023?
@UK_Kev
How do you know that the Advance Wars remake is inferior?
Are you the guy that was mistakenly given the game early?
Re: Poll: Are Game Boy Games Still Worth Playing In 2023?
If you haven't played Kuru Kuru Kuruin,
you should do so.
Re: Poll: Are Game Boy Games Still Worth Playing In 2023?
Link's Awakening is far better than Link to the Past for me.
Re: Poll: Are Game Boy Games Still Worth Playing In 2023?
I have fond memories of Super Mario Land 2,
but it's even more charming than I remember.
Re: Anniversary: Super Smash Bros. Brawl Is 15 Today
Introduced my boy King Dedede to the series.
Re: Random: Grandchild Discovers 26 Copies Of Wario Game In Late Grandmother's Collection
@Razieluigi
you're quite right, it's the amount of consoles that's the least easily explained part of it.
Re: Poll: So, What's Your Favourite Controller Of All Time?
Dreamcast, a thing of beauty.
Re: Fans Are Giving Mario Kart 64 The HD Treatment With Incredible New Mod
Give me Kamek.
Re: Evercade EXP Release Date Delayed To December 15th
Taking forevercade.
Re: Review: Mega Drive / Genesis Mini 2 - Sega's Sequel Scores CD Support
What is TimeExtension?
The logo looks like a Pokemon TCG expansion pack.
Re: Random: Performing Combos In The Worst Version Of Street Fighter II Is Pretty Hard, But Possible
The Game Boy had 4 buttons, not including the d-pad.
Re: Playdate Launch Pushed Back To 2022 Following "Frustrating" Hardware Difficulties
Looks like a Pikachu.
Re: Hardware Review: Game Gear Micro - Go Home Sega, You're Drunk
Kind of represents what Sega is now; smaller and redundant.
Re: Sega's Next Micro-Console Could Be The Dreamcast Mini, But Don't Expect It Soon
Hot dog!
Re: Feature: Remember When Atari Turned Down Nintendo And Sega?
Great piece.
Re: Feature: The Man Who Lost Tetris
Kind of pales in comparison to the current news about Maxwell.
Re: Feature: Take A Tour Of The UK's Most Incredible Retro Game Store
@Nincompoop
Yeah, was going to say, it's not that special really.