@PKDuckman Easier solution is to just create a second account for Japanese purchases. Don't even need to get the subscription again; as long as one account on the Switch has it, you're good to go.
I once worked for a company that was absorbed into Disney's gaming arm and I can say that even their acquisitions were handled about this badly. They'd be in choice paralysis past the expiration date of a good idea and then their purchase would bomb hard.
@Fallingshadow Sorry, I'll accept the correction on that. It's the Contra Anniversary Collection, but it's still broken years later despite using AA's core emulation code. My point still stands: the correction was done in MAME before it was ever fixed in AA.
@Fallingshadow No, Furrtek found and reverse engineered something MAMEdev had missed. In fact, the initial AA release of Contra (which appears in Arcade Anniversary Collection) still has the bug and it was only fixed in the single-game releases of Contra on Switch and PS4.
I always thought this was extremely obvious. The HUD is nearly 1:1 with Castlevania's. The way subweapons are handled is pretty much identical to Castlevania. Your movement is faster and you have marginally more air control along with wall climbing, but the fundamentals are so close you'd have to be blind to miss how much Castlevania was copied.
M2, no idea if you'll even read any of these comments, but the one thing you could do to help your business is to bring more stuff to Steam without having Taito/Konami push you into doing it.
Go back and get permission to bring back some of your older licensed sets (e.g. Battle Garegga) and I know a lot of people who will be in line for it instantly.
For what it's worth, I look for M2's name when looking at rereleases because I know you guys put real effort in to make these good. You go above and beyond.
Edit:
Oh, and if you do read this: I hope you'll have the opportunity to go back and patch Gradius Origins one last time. There are still a few minor issues (no subtitles/gadgets on Salamander 3, and the menu music volume bug) that are just enough to keep it from being literally a perfect product. It's literally the Gradius collection I've been waiting for for.. what.. the last 20+ years?
@Tendogamerxxx Ocean, I absolutely could see. Data East was all over the place with some good and some truly bad games. But Sunsoft? Really? Blaster Master, Journey to Silius, Super Spy Hunter say otherwise.
@samuelvictor Oh, I definitely know. I've played Probotector all the way through (and found myself wishing I'd gone back to the Japanese one before I was done with the second stage. So sloooooooowwww..)
You hit my thoughts on the head, @samuelvictor. Forced 16x9 and bad video quality make it a "hard no" outright. As a US NTSC user, the PAL thing isn't AS big of an issue, but it IS still a very worrying concern about system quality.
Comments 12
Re: This Tiny Game Boy Clone Plays Physical Cartridges
It's a neat design but that looks a bit too small for my pretty medium hands. I have trouble with the Retroid Pocket 5 which feels a bit too small.
Re: Nintendo Adds Ninja Gaiden III, Ikari Warriors And R.C. Pro-AM II To Switch Online Today
@PKDuckman Easier solution is to just create a second account for Japanese purchases. Don't even need to get the subscription again; as long as one account on the Switch has it, you're good to go.
Re: "Disney Started Freaking Out" - Here's Why Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse of The Black Pearl Never Got A Proper Video Game Tie-In
I once worked for a company that was absorbed into Disney's gaming arm and I can say that even their acquisitions were handled about this badly. They'd be in choice paralysis past the expiration date of a good idea and then their purchase would bomb hard.
Re: This Week's Arcade Archives Game Features An Unofficial Cameo From One Of Hollywood's Biggest Stars
@Fallingshadow Sorry, I'll accept the correction on that. It's the Contra Anniversary Collection, but it's still broken years later despite using AA's core emulation code. My point still stands: the correction was done in MAME before it was ever fixed in AA.
Re: This Week's Arcade Archives Game Features An Unofficial Cameo From One Of Hollywood's Biggest Stars
@Fallingshadow No, Furrtek found and reverse engineered something MAMEdev had missed. In fact, the initial AA release of Contra (which appears in Arcade Anniversary Collection) still has the bug and it was only fixed in the single-game releases of Contra on Switch and PS4.
https://x.com/topapate/status/1382003544178491395
https://www.patreon.com/furrtek/posts/bonus-round-49965048
Re: Ninja Gaiden Director Confirms Castlevania Was A Big Influence
I always thought this was extremely obvious. The HUD is nearly 1:1 with Castlevania's. The way subweapons are handled is pretty much identical to Castlevania. Your movement is faster and you have marginally more air control along with wall climbing, but the fundamentals are so close you'd have to be blind to miss how much Castlevania was copied.
Re: This Week's Arcade Archives Game Features An Unofficial Cameo From One Of Hollywood's Biggest Stars
@Fallingshadow The Contra issue in MAME was fixed several years ago.
Re: Interview: "You're Always Facing The Risk Of It Coming To An End" - M2 Co., Ltd.'s Naoki Horii On Creating Retro Perfection
@naoki-horii I'll see what I can do. Just need to find a contact method for Konami. Thanks for your time!
Re: Interview: "You're Always Facing The Risk Of It Coming To An End" - M2 Co., Ltd.'s Naoki Horii On Creating Retro Perfection
M2, no idea if you'll even read any of these comments, but the one thing you could do to help your business is to bring more stuff to Steam without having Taito/Konami push you into doing it.
Go back and get permission to bring back some of your older licensed sets (e.g. Battle Garegga) and I know a lot of people who will be in line for it instantly.
For what it's worth, I look for M2's name when looking at rereleases because I know you guys put real effort in to make these good. You go above and beyond.
Edit:
Oh, and if you do read this: I hope you'll have the opportunity to go back and patch Gradius Origins one last time. There are still a few minor issues (no subtitles/gadgets on Salamander 3, and the menu music volume bug) that are just enough to keep it from being literally a perfect product. It's literally the Gradius collection I've been waiting for for.. what.. the last 20+ years?
Re: Exclusive: The Evercade Handheld Is Getting Earthworm Jim, Clayfigher And Midnight Resistance
@Tendogamerxxx Ocean, I absolutely could see. Data East was all over the place with some good and some truly bad games. But Sunsoft? Really? Blaster Master, Journey to Silius, Super Spy Hunter say otherwise.
Re: Hardware Review: Retro-Bit Super Retro Trio Plus
@samuelvictor Oh, I definitely know. I've played Probotector all the way through (and found myself wishing I'd gone back to the Japanese one before I was done with the second stage. So sloooooooowwww..)
Re: Hardware Review: Retro-Bit Super Retro Trio Plus
You hit my thoughts on the head, @samuelvictor. Forced 16x9 and bad video quality make it a "hard no" outright. As a US NTSC user, the PAL thing isn't AS big of an issue, but it IS still a very worrying concern about system quality.