A perfectly sound device concept marred by one comically terrible decision - blatantly inappropriate control inputs for gaming. Who was asking for this? Who was complaining about buttons?
Ah I see. Yeah that makes sense. I guess I wasn’t hip to this since I’m not exactly at the 1CC stage in my shmup training hahaha. Haven’t even touched Cave yet, I’m on a quest to beat all the Genesis/Mega Drive shooters so it’ll be a while till I get around to that stuff.
@EWolf I think "deep" scoring systems are meant to inject an extra challenge for people who want a little extra difficulty oomph in their shmups without making the core difficulty too much for more casual players. Personally I don't care about score either but I don't object to the existence of these mechanics.
This one looks pretty cool so far, though perhaps a bit slow and easy in the trailer. Lets see some chaos!
@OliverTwins With all due respect, this is a pretty half-hearted response to what @PZT had to say to you. They are absolutely correct in pretty much everything they had to say and it doesn't seem like you've really processed it. Please read it again and mull it over.
If there's at least one small takeaway you get from all this it should be that art assets, at the very least, should be human created. If you want to use AI in an assistive capacity or for research in the creation of your projects people will generally be able to stomach that a little more easily. But when it comes to creative output, you or another creative human being should be doing the work. The blatant use of AI art and a stubborn refusal to pay an actual artist is a massive red flag that will significantly limit the appeal of your product to anyone who's paying attention. Read the room man.
Ok so the inclusion of the complations is outright stupid. Those are not in and of themselves Castlevania games. How can they possibly be ranked among the games which they themselves include? That makes absolutely no sense. Also there are other compilations that were not included... so why include some and not others? You guys. What?
I had a feeling this might be the case. TV marketing rarely reflects well on the content therein, especially in the adult animation space. They ALWAYS play up the lamest, lowest common denominator jokes possible to try to appeal to a wide audience. Glad to hear this turned out better than expected.
Ha! Funny timing on this article. I just recently set out to beat every shoot em up on Sega Genesis in roughly alphabetical order. Naturally Air Buster is one of the first. I’ve definitely noticed the odd presence of a loading screen in a Genesis game but it’s not too egregious. And now I know exactly why it’s here. Neat!
@YouPitchforkWaver You go right ahead and spend your time and money on soulless, generic, bland, low effort slop just to prove a spiteful little point to people who will never notice or care. Have fun.
I gotta say, a microtransaction riddled phone game that vaguely resembles an old arcade title hardly qualifies retro gaming news. Is anyone who's reading this site actually interested in this?
While this is a total first world problem, it is kind of BS that they would hide this color variant until right after launch. It's not like they didn't know they were gonna be releasing it. Why not wait to release it until all color variants are ready? I can see how that would be frustrating if you prefer the new variant.
At first it's funny to think that a game as simple as this was too complicated for people to handle, but it's easy to take our knowledge and understanding of video games for granted now. There really was nothing else like this before it. This thing definitely belongs in a museum.
Hell yeah! I'm genuinely surprised that it beat out The Simpsons but I can see why. It popularized first person shooters, one of the biggest game genres ever if not the single biggest.
Yeah this is exactly the kind of trouble the already iffy reputation of the 3DO needs. On top of its well known failure as a platform - and largely unmet potential - now we have a shady character "reviving" the brand without any legal right to do so. What could possibly go wrong?
Mini consoles are such easy low hanging fruit. Avoiding making more of them to protect Sega’s image as a modern game company is so pointless. Nobody cares about that. I mean look at Atari. Their identity at this point is largely retro gaming and they’ve been thriving lately. Retro stuff sells like crazy and this guy is stupid to just leave that money on the table. It just stinks of pride at this point.
@Octane The technique you're referring to is called dithering and it's pretty effective for creating a gradient effect. The Playdate screen is only 1-Bit, meaning pixels are either black or white, whereas the Gameboy screen was capable of 4-Bit grayscale. Playdate games will look quite different from Gameboy games in that sense. Personally I love the 1-Bit aesthetic despite its limitations.
@Travisemo007 Those cheap pieces of garbage are direct rip-offs of this product. The Playdate was announced and showcased like two years ago. The Chinese handheld market immediately stole their aesthetic and shoved a crappy emulator into it. The actual Playdate has nothing to do with that industry.
@Oscargungan This is such an important point. I think a lot of people are looking at the price and dismissing it before they really consider everything about it. Not only does it come with all these games and a free game creation suite but it's a niche specialty product with novel components from a new-to-hardware company during a global component shortage. With all context considered, the price is a serious bargain.
I've been waiting over a year for an update on this. I was beginning to think it may never release. Suffice it to say I'm blown away by this new information and trailer.
I think it's important to support novel innovations in whatever industry or hobby it is you're interested in whenever possible. Everything from the hardware concept to the software distribution model on this is new and different. It's exciting!
Comments 25
Re: Review: Grant Sinclair's GamerCard – Shares Some Of Sir Clive's DNA, But This Is No ZX Spectrum-Style Triumph
A perfectly sound device concept marred by one comically terrible decision - blatantly inappropriate control inputs for gaming. Who was asking for this? Who was complaining about buttons?
Re: After Three Decades, Toaplan's Zero Wing Is Getting An Official Release For The Neo Geo, Here's Why
You love to see it. I'm down for anything Toaplan.
Re: 'Genre Veterans Are In For A Treat' - Sturmjager Is A Brand New Shmup Jetting Onto PC And Consoles in 2027
Ah I see. Yeah that makes sense. I guess I wasn’t hip to this since I’m not exactly at the 1CC stage in my shmup training hahaha. Haven’t even touched Cave yet, I’m on a quest to beat all the Genesis/Mega Drive shooters so it’ll be a while till I get around to that stuff.
Re: Blaze's C64 And ZX Spectrum Handhelds Have Been Delayed To April 2027
Eh honestly it's ok. I ordered the Spectrum one. I'd prefer to have it sooner rather than later but it's not like it's an emergency lol
Re: 'Genre Veterans Are In For A Treat' - Sturmjager Is A Brand New Shmup Jetting Onto PC And Consoles in 2027
@EWolf I think "deep" scoring systems are meant to inject an extra challenge for people who want a little extra difficulty oomph in their shmups without making the core difficulty too much for more casual players. Personally I don't care about score either but I don't object to the existence of these mechanics.
This one looks pretty cool so far, though perhaps a bit slow and easy in the trailer. Lets see some chaos!
Re: "Of All The GenAI Slops You've Ever Seen, This Is The Sloppiest Of Them All" - The Oliver Twins Tarnish Their Legacy Further With 'Wizard Of Oz' Board Game
@OliverTwins With all due respect, this is a pretty half-hearted response to what @PZT had to say to you. They are absolutely correct in pretty much everything they had to say and it doesn't seem like you've really processed it. Please read it again and mull it over.
If there's at least one small takeaway you get from all this it should be that art assets, at the very least, should be human created. If you want to use AI in an assistive capacity or for research in the creation of your projects people will generally be able to stomach that a little more easily. But when it comes to creative output, you or another creative human being should be doing the work. The blatant use of AI art and a stubborn refusal to pay an actual artist is a massive red flag that will significantly limit the appeal of your product to anyone who's paying attention. Read the room man.
Re: The Best Castlevania Games, Ranked By You
Ok so the inclusion of the complations is outright stupid. Those are not in and of themselves Castlevania games. How can they possibly be ranked among the games which they themselves include? That makes absolutely no sense. Also there are other compilations that were not included... so why include some and not others? You guys. What?
Re: "Terrible Marketing Hid A Great Show" - First Reviews Of Paramount's Golden Axe TV Series Are In
I had a feeling this might be the case. TV marketing rarely reflects well on the content therein, especially in the adult animation space. They ALWAYS play up the lamest, lowest common denominator jokes possible to try to appeal to a wide audience. Glad to hear this turned out better than expected.
Re: The 1992 Mega Drive Shoot 'Em Up 'Gley Lancer' Is Being Reimagined For The Neo Geo (And Modern Platforms)
HELL YES! This is fantastic news. Really looking forward to this one!
Re: Random: "It's Been The Butt Of Jokes Since Then" - The Inside Story On Aero Blasters' "Loading Screen"
Ha! Funny timing on this article. I just recently set out to beat every shoot em up on Sega Genesis in roughly alphabetical order. Naturally Air Buster is one of the first. I’ve definitely noticed the odd presence of a loading screen in a Genesis game but it’s not too egregious. And now I know exactly why it’s here. Neat!
Re: Manic Miner Is Back, But The Trailer Has The Suspicious Stink Of GenAI
@YouPitchforkWaver
You go right ahead and spend your time and money on soulless, generic, bland, low effort slop just to prove a spiteful little point to people who will never notice or care. Have fun.
Re: "I Wish This Was On Console" - Infinity Bullets Is Like A Long-Lost '90s Capcom Game, And You Should Check It Out
I gotta say, a microtransaction riddled phone game that vaguely resembles an old arcade title hardly qualifies retro gaming news. Is anyone who's reading this site actually interested in this?
Re: "Scummy As Hell" - AYANEO Reveals Another Colourway Of The GBA-Like Pocket Advance, Annoying Some Fans
While this is a total first world problem, it is kind of BS that they would hide this color variant until right after launch. It's not like they didn't know they were gonna be releasing it. Why not wait to release it until all color variants are ready? I can see how that would be frustrating if you prefer the new variant.
Re: "Practically Unobtainable" - Here's Your Chance To Own An Incredibly Rare Piece Of Arcade History
At first it's funny to think that a game as simple as this was too complicated for people to handle, but it's easy to take our knowledge and understanding of video games for granted now. There really was nothing else like this before it. This thing definitely belongs in a museum.
Re: The Making Of: Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves - "Costner Was Uncomfortable With Having His Face In A Violent Game"
I love articles like this that dive deep into obscure retro titles. More of this please!
Re: DOOM Has Been Recognised As One Of "The Most Influential Works" Of American Culture
Hell yeah! I'm genuinely surprised that it beat out The Simpsons but I can see why. It popularized first person shooters, one of the biggest game genres ever if not the single biggest.
Re: "We Needed A Pre-Announcement For This?" - Fans Aren't Impressed With Metal Slug's "Explosive" 30th Anniversary Announcement
I have an EXPLOSIVE announcement to make. Get ready! Here it comes!
I had cereal for breakfast.
Re: "I'm Back With More Dumb Game Boy Camera BS" - Someone Used The Game Boy Accessory To Take A Picture Of Jupiter
Wow. This is the kind of advanced absurdity I can really get behind. Just don't use it to take pictures of Uranus.
Re: Empire Interactive Withdraws From "3DO Project" Due To "Likelihood Of Prolonged Legal Disputes"
surprisedpikachuface.jpg
Re: "I'm Currently Of The Opinion That This Is Not Legitimate" - There's Something Weird Going On With 3DO Right Now
Yeah this is exactly the kind of trouble the already iffy reputation of the 3DO needs. On top of its well known failure as a platform - and largely unmet potential - now we have a shady character "reviving" the brand without any legal right to do so. What could possibly go wrong?
Re: Sega's Western CEO Isn't Interested In Saturn And Dreamcast Mini Consoles
Mini consoles are such easy low hanging fruit. Avoiding making more of them to protect Sega’s image as a modern game company is so pointless. Nobody cares about that. I mean look at Atari. Their identity at this point is largely retro gaming and they’ve been thriving lately. Retro stuff sells like crazy and this guy is stupid to just leave that money on the table. It just stinks of pride at this point.
Re: Panic's Cool Little Handheld, Playdate, Gets New Details On Pre-Orders And More
@Octane The technique you're referring to is called dithering and it's pretty effective for creating a gradient effect. The Playdate screen is only 1-Bit, meaning pixels are either black or white, whereas the Gameboy screen was capable of 4-Bit grayscale. Playdate games will look quite different from Gameboy games in that sense. Personally I love the 1-Bit aesthetic despite its limitations.
Re: Panic's Cool Little Handheld, Playdate, Gets New Details On Pre-Orders And More
@Travisemo007 Those cheap pieces of garbage are direct rip-offs of this product. The Playdate was announced and showcased like two years ago. The Chinese handheld market immediately stole their aesthetic and shoved a crappy emulator into it. The actual Playdate has nothing to do with that industry.
Re: Panic's Cool Little Handheld, Playdate, Gets New Details On Pre-Orders And More
@Oscargungan This is such an important point. I think a lot of people are looking at the price and dismissing it before they really consider everything about it. Not only does it come with all these games and a free game creation suite but it's a niche specialty product with novel components from a new-to-hardware company during a global component shortage. With all context considered, the price is a serious bargain.
Re: Panic's Cool Little Handheld, Playdate, Gets New Details On Pre-Orders And More
I've been waiting over a year for an update on this. I was beginning to think it may never release. Suffice it to say I'm blown away by this new information and trailer.
I think it's important to support novel innovations in whatever industry or hobby it is you're interested in whenever possible. Everything from the hardware concept to the software distribution model on this is new and different. It's exciting!