The game is an arcade racer, viewed from an angle, that pits the player against three other racers in free play and championship modes. There are 18 tracks, with three distinct location types that include the Mud Flats, Highlands, and The Ruins. Each of these features tight corners, long straights to build up speed, and dangerous jumps, which will require repeat playthroughs to nail without making any mistakes.
The courses aren't the only obstacle either, with cars being able to bump against one another while driving. This can be a bit of a nuisance at first, but you can actually use it to your advantage getting a helpful push from your rivals on screen.
Here's a breakdown of the features from the itch.io page:
- 18 different tracks
- 3 different stages
- Up to 4 human players
- Multiple game modes
- Computer racers with different racing styles
- Shop to upgrade your car or buy powerups
- Thumping soundtrack by Kamil 'Jammer' Wolnikowski
- Strong title music with a specialized Digi routine
- Progress automatically saved to the cartridge
- Support for Protopad, the 4-player adapter, and MultiJoy
- Fully PAL & NTSC compatible
If you want to get Muddy Racers for yourself, there's a digital download option and a physical release distributed through Protovision. The digital download will cost you €5.99 and comes with a digital manual, while the physical release has a bunch of bonus goodies (like collector's cards and a small-sized racing car) and will set you back €40. You can watch a video of the game in action below: