Comments 3

Re: Hands On: Retro Fighters Brawler64 Pro - A Solid Controller For N64, And More

duffle

@Jawessome yeah you’re right I completely overlooked the N64 Online controller. I have it, it’s great. Works well on the 3D.

Overall for the 3D I like the 8bitdo 64 pad. Some people say the Bluetooth on the 3D system is bad but I’ve never had issues. It’s not a perfect controller but the virtual memory pak make it probably best for the system and it comes in, IMO, the best range of colors.

But if Analogue introduced a way to use virtual memory pak with any controller the ranking would probably be
1) NSO N64
2) OG N64 with a good stick
3) 8bitdo 64
4) Retrofighters Brawler64 Pro
5) everything else

That kind of seems like I’m going against my original recommendation on the Brawler Pro, but for the A3D having the dongle not fit with the height of the console and the start button in an odd place are two marks against it.

Re: Hands On: Retro Fighters Brawler64 Pro - A Solid Controller For N64, And More

duffle

I backed the kickstarter for this and got it a few weeks ago.

Overall, a big upgrade compared to the previous Brawler64 and maybe the best modern N64 controller. Like the 8bitdo pad and Modretro that "maybe" comes with a number of small quirks. We're at a better place this year than we've ever been for new N64 pads. The trio mentioned are the best yet made and yet there is still enough small shortcomings that there is no controller definitively better than the original, provided your original has a good stick (or you're able to get a steel bowl replacement).

For this one, the Brawler64 Pro, the stick and D-Pad feel great. The stick is still a bit sensitive and not quite right. The face buttons feel great, maybe the best of the three. The weight and plastic texture of this controller makes it the most comfortable to hold.

If you play on an Analogue 3D like I do, the big limitation is it does not allow you to use the virtual memory cards. But for playing on an original N64 this is the controller I would recommend to a friend.